Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Getting a 2nd piggie

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
I'm about to take in a 2nd piggie as a buddy to my Fiona. the 2nd piggie is also a single female that my friend is deciding to give to me so the piggies won't be lonely. I can't find the link I was reading through the other day on introducing your piggies. Does anyone have a link to it please? I have put aside all weekend for the intros and I remember the part about putting them into a neutral territory and needing to clean every bit of the main cage before putting them both in it, but I can't remember all the other steps and do's/don'ts. Thanks in advance and wish us luck!

FionaMae

Cavy Slave

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
Today is intro day for Fiona and her new friend Greta. So far it seems to be going well. A lot of sniffing, chasing, ignoring and hay eating. It's been about 2 hours now and still no signs of serious fighting but I"m still nervous to take my eyes off them for even a second. Greta is about a year old and Fiona is a little over 4 months.Fiona seems a lot more active than usual though and is even climbing and chewing the grids which I haven't seen her do at all since I got her. I hope that's not a bad sign.
Fiona and Greta 1.jpgFiona and Greta 3.jpg

librarychick

Cavy Slave
That sounds great :)

I'd put in a couple water bottles, and a couple more piles of hay and veggies - and maybe a stool or two as hideys (nothing with narrow 'doors' or only one exit!). At this point you're past the worst bit, but I like to leave them in the play pen for at least 6 hours.

How big is your cage?

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
I have one water bottle in there mostly for Greta because Fiona doesn't drink from it much. I usually just make sure her lettuce is really wet. The other water bottle just got washed for the permanent cage. The cage is a 2x4 but I'm looking at making a bigger one now that I have both of them. I cleaned everything already and it's ready when they are but I probably won't put them in until after a couple more hours in the intro area. Greta just curled herself up in the corner potty and is dozing off while Fiona is chowing down on hay. I'm thinking Greta may be the queen here and it was really cute when I opened the fridge and got out the plastic bag of lettuce Fiona started wheeking like crazy and Greta ran over to her and nuzzled her a bit like she was worried.

Fay

Cavy Slave
They're very cute! One thing I wanted to ask is, did you double check to make sure they're both female before putting them together?

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
Yes, Greta is actually my friend's. They've had her since September. Their other piggie died so Greta needed a friend too.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.