Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ugh..why? (on irresponsible owners)

Katie

Cavy Slave
This person I used to go to school with, I guess you could call her a friend, decided to get guinea pigs. Well actually her mother decided to get a guinea pig for her sons (8, and...6?).

The first time she told me about the guinea pig, I asked her where she got it (she knew I was involved in rescue). She got it from Pet Supplies Plus. I then began asking her if it was a boar or a sow. She told me the pet store said it was a boar. I sent her the link to cavy spirit's sexing page and told her to take a look and if she needed help she could call me and I would gladly come sex the pig. She was certain it was a male. Ok.

She then calls me about 2 months later that she got another one (from the pet store)! Ok... she's pretty sure it's a boy too, it looks just like the other one. So I tell her I want to come over and see them.

Turns out, the "boys" are both girls, and the one that's very fat is very pregnant! She is keeping them in a standard pet store cage. No hay, giving them vitamin drops, seed mixes. They ask me to build them a cage and gave me $20, so I made a 2x3 C&C cage for the two sows, and 4 days later she gives birth to two pups, both boars.

The mother sow was nipping at the other sow, so they separated them (put the one back into the standard cage).

A week later (this week), the 6 year old boy wanted a guinea pig too! They are keeping the two pups, but he wants his own. So again, instead of calling me (I have 2 sows for adoption) they go to Petsmart because they are vet checked!:rolleyes: They end up buying a boar.

I went there today to make sure the boar was for sure a boar it was, but they put him in with the other sow! ugh... why? They didn't want babies to begin with. How could they be so irresponsible? There excuse was "well, we really didn't have a choice, we didn't have any other place to put him."

I separated them today while I was there. She was probably already pregnant from the pet store, but if she wasn't, she surely is now. I put the sow in with the other sow and her pups, there was a little dominance but they're fine.

Then we go over to her aunts or family friend or something; who also has a guinea pig. She got another one and they were "humping" and she wanted me to make sure they were both boars. They were, but... she had them in a "below standard" cage. This cage.

She had 2 boars, a pigloo, and food dish (no hay, no veggies; pet store said no), they had no room to even turn around! They cage is 12"x24". So she gave me money to build them a cage.

To make matters worse, she is a type of hoarder (I guess, she gets rid of animals, but gets more). She has 3 dogs, 9 cats, all intact. She has one dog, an Australian Shepherd about 9 months old that she is taking to the pound because he is too big and hyper, yet, knowing this, she went out and bought a 12 week old Saint Bernard/Lab mix. She allows the cats to use her flower pots as litter boxes and doesn't even care. However, I doubt there is anything that can be done, as they all appeared healthy.

So tomorrow my friend might come over and we are going to have a cage building party and I am going to print out tons of info for them reguarding care and hopefully open their eyes on rescuing.

This was sort of a vent, I guess. I had to get it out.

P.S. I'm not sure if I posted this in the right forum, if not, please move it!

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
That's probably one of my greatest fears with animals. I'm always terrified my friends( one of them can never accept the fact that she's wrong) will get animals, mistreat them, and end up blowing up at them. They're lucky you're so civil. ;)

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
Hm, it might have belonged more in the kitchen. Anyway, definately educate her! Send her to this website, and others regarding pet stores and guinea pig care. For the sake of the 7? guinea pigs total, these people need to be educated! Some people just don't care, which is horrible. In that case they shouldn't pets to begin with. However I know that won't stop anybody.

Some people just refuse to listen, too. I know I did at first. I try to educated my friends and their parents on how to care for their pets, but I guess because the pet "belongs to them" they will care for the pet as they see fit and it is none of my business anyway. It's very frustrating. Good luck, keep us updated.

Katie

Cavy Slave
I have showed her this site, along with cavy spirit many times. I'm just glad they are actually allowing me to build them bigger cages. I gave them grass hay and told them where I got it and they ended up going and buying a bale of timothy/alfalfa, which is now causing them allergies, so I suggested donating to Erins rescue. If Erin wants it, I plan to bring my friend along to show her just how many guinea pigs are already homeless.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Patience and persistance might pay off in the long term you never know. I feel so sorry or those guinea pigs though...

Should you speak to her parents? As adults they should be teaching their children pet ownership responsibilites. I just dislike ignorant people who cannot see ''what the problem is''.

Stick to it maybe one day she will see the error of her ways and the harm she is doing to these poor animals. Keep us updated and Goodluck.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I've heard that Bermuda grass hay helps with allergies, maybe try that?

Katie

Cavy Slave
Fluffball said:
Patience and persistance might pay off in the long term you never know. I feel so sorry or those guinea pigs though...

Should you speak to her parents? As adults they should be teaching their children pet ownership responsibilites. I just dislike ignorant people who cannot see ''what the problem is''.

Stick to it maybe one day she will see the error of her ways and the harm she is doing to these poor animals. Keep us updated and Goodluck.

I did talk to her parents. I went over how to care for the pigs, and I even told her if they ever wanted another pig down the road, to come to me (that was before the last pig)! They are the ones who gave me money for the bigger cage.

I've heard that Bermuda grass hay helps with allergies, maybe try that?

I don't think we have Bermuda grass around here. However, the grass hay is fine for them.

C&K

Cavy Slave
I don't think we have Bermuda grass around here. However, the grass hay is fine for them.

I think that bluegrass also is better on allergies, I think that Doc was not suggesting it was better for the pigs, but for the humans allergies.

I think that bluegrass can be ordered from KM, even with shipping it may work out cheeper in the end then buying from a store. However, for people that don't really seem to care that much about their animals welfare, I doubt they would want to go to that sort of "trouble". (although arriving at your door is certainly convineant sp?)

Yup, these sorts are all around us, and I am not sure I could be as civil as you are being.

Katie

Cavy Slave
Cavies-and-Kids said:
I think that bluegrass also is better on allergies, I think that Doc was not suggesting it was better for the pigs, but for the humans allergies.

I think that bluegrass can be ordered from KM, even with shipping it may work out cheeper in the end then buying from a store. However, for people that don't really seem to care that much about their animals welfare, I doubt they would want to go to that sort of "trouble". (although arriving at your door is certainly convineant sp?)

Yup, these sorts are all around us, and I am not sure I could be as civil as you are being.

The grass hay doesn't bother the humans allergies. There is very little dust compared to the timothy and alfalfa mixture.

They are buying it by the bale from a feed store, so it's much cheaper then KMs or the Pet store.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Do you know what kind of grass it is? If it has Fescue (sp?) in it, it could be really bad news. Aqh88 knows more about it, but I think it harbours a harmful mold.

Not all grasses are created equal. Of course, I would think grass of any type is better then no grass at all.

Katie

Cavy Slave
Do you know what kind of grass it is? If it has Fescue (sp?) in it, it could be really bad news. Aqh88 knows more about it, but I think it harbours a harmful mold.

Not all grasses are created equal. Of course, I would think grass of any type is better then no grass at all

No, I dont know what kind of grass it is, they just call it grass hay. I've been feeding it for awhile, it's fine. The other rescue also uses it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.