Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Will this work as a cage/habitat?

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
I have been trying to figure out what to do for a cage/habitat for Fiona because the one from the store is too small of course. I realized I had an old underbed storage drawer in the garage and dragged it out and cleaned it. It measures 57L x 25W x 5H. I think it's melamine? right now I have a water proof pad down and then 2 towels on top of that to protect the melamine until I can get the coroplast this weekend. I only have her in there while I'm home right now because I'm not sure it's safe yet - it looks like maybe she can climb out. I also don't have a way to hook her water bottle anywhere yet. Do you think this will be suitable for her for a full time habitat? Are there any issues that you can see coming up that I don't know about? And do you think it will be suitable for when I find her a buddy? She seemed to like it. I hated to take her out last night and put her back in her cage because she was popcorning all over and wheeking and coming over to sniff me and popcorning away and running through the shoebox tunnel I made for her and everything.. any suggestions or concerns would be greatly appreciated!
cage2.jpg

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
You will need to protect it from moisture absolutely. It sounds like you are already taking steps to do that though.

I cannot voucher for the safety of the material, but personally, I wouldn't trust that height unsupervised. That is not quite as high as I have corop last to keep poop from being kicked out and all over. My girls would be over that in a heart beat and off exploring other parts of the house .... that is if they weren't injured from the fall since ours is elevated. GPs aren't typically climbers (stress on typically) but that height wouldn't be much of a climb at all. Many people use grids that are 14 inches square for an exterior wall. Just make sure that any 14 inch grids you find have 9x9 holes within because anything bigger and they can get their heads stuck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's plenty big, but she could get out. You could put grids on three sides of it.

PiggyPrints

Cavy Slave
Have you considered plexiglass? It'd keep it looking nice, (better than the grids IMO), even if it's a little more expensive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
My work in progress seems to make Fiona a happy girl. I found a fleece hat that I had propped open with an old ziploc bag box and she tunneled in and kicked out the cardboard and snuggled up and went to sleep. All while I was standing there watching her. It was the cutest thing ever. She just seemed so content! I can't wait to get it finished so she can be in there full time and I can start looking for a buddy for her. She also had her first vet appointment yesterday and she appears to be about 12ish weeks, definitely a female, NOT preggers, and overall healthy. yay!
Fiona Collage.jpg

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
What are you doing for her water? You said you had nowhere to connect it yet, so I'd be putting at least a water bowl (if you haven't already). But she looks so cute :) Once you get the grids on the outside and the fleece it will be perfect

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
She hasn't been drinking much from the bottle lately so I've been drenching her lettuce in water before I give it to her. I talked to the vet about that yesterday because I'm paranoid about dehydration but she said she should be getting enough water from the lettuce. I have to put her back in her cage unfortunately while I'm at work because the "work in progress" isn't safe yet by herself and her cage has the water bottle hooked up. I'm hoping to have everything this weekend to finish the "paradise" for her lol

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Yay. Would love to see pictures when it's all done

librarychick

Cavy Slave
I think the sides are too low as well. I've never had a pig interested in climbing out, but I still wouldn't trust that. You could just use coroplast to extend the walls up to 8 inches or so though.

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
@librarychick I'm so afraid to leave her in there unsupervised. I'm picking up coroplast and grids this weekend. and probably fleece and wood pellets too. and now after seeing all of the other pictures of different cages I kind of want to make it even bigger especially since I'm looking for a buddy for her :)

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
I love the pic of her snuggled in the hat. :) She's a cutie! Your plans for her habitat sound good. I use wood pellets with fleece on top and I love it.

pouty

Cavy Slave
She's so precious and she looks so happy with all the changes you've made to the cage!!

You can use a water bowl as a temporary arrangement but my piggies would get that really dirty all of the time. I had to change their bowl twice a day so that didn't last long.

Ive seen water bottle stands for hamsters and just found this one for bunnies: https://www.etsy.com/listing/227958...fU1DZ_dYBF30uCmS28wMynpyk8wBEWAt_MaAgkD8P8HAQ

Please post pictures soon! I'd love to see what you come up with.

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
Here is more of my work in progress.. my shopping trip today didn't go as planned. I had hoped to pick up grids, wood pellets, fleece, and a big ol' sheet of coroplast in black. Well I got grids and 3 dinky sheets of coroplast in white :-( The grids don't fit well all the way around so I made do with partial for now so I could get the water bottle in there. My cutting/folding skills with coroplast are not the best and the ugly silver duct tape keeping it all together looks pretty wretched, but the bonus of today is I found a huge roll of fleece in my spare room that I had for making a blanket at christmas time that I forgot all about. So that is in the washer right now and will go over some carefresh bedding until my wood pellet order gets delivered. I also have enough to make her a hidey corner. I had a plastic corner tray that I filled with cut timothy hay and placed that in the corner with a pellet dish on one side and her veggie dish on the other side and left the room to grab something else and came back (all of maybe 30 seconds) and Fiona had peed and pooped in the corner hay tray! ?? I dumped it out and cleaned it because I don't want to her to eat soiled hay (or is that normal?). Does that mean she's "tray trained" ? Anywho, I feel much better that she can be in here 24/7 now AND I can start looking for a buddy for her!! Woohoo!! Oh and she's finally eating carrots!! woohoo! Now I can move on to introducing another veggie!
Cage1.jpgCage2.jpgCage3.jpgCage4.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll have to keep that duct tape away from the pigs. They'll eat it, and it can kill them.

PiggyPrints

Cavy Slave
I had an idea to hide the tape, why not try using your fleece to wrap over the coroplast and use binder clips to hold it down?

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
The fleece is almost done drying. It will cover all of the coroplast and tape. I've been keeping an eye on her since putting her in so she doesn't chew on it. :)

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
The fleece is on! I'm not too crazy about the Carefresh bedding underneath. It kind of stinks like piggies have already peed all over it. The wood pellets can't get here soon enough. Somehow it still doesn't seem big enough to me. or fun enough! I guess it will always be a work in progress lol she seems to like her hidey corner though.
cage6.jpgcage7.jpgcage8.jpg

Attachments

Cage5.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How high are the front/side walls of your cage? I've got a pig that could hop right out of that, I think.

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
they are 8 inches high. Should I go higher? I think I can slide grids in between the frame and the coroplast if I use zip ties instead of the connectors.

PiggyPrints

Cavy Slave
Question I'd ask is, is your pig a jumper? Is there any indication that would make you worry about him/her falling? Personally my pigs never had to worry over 6" but yours is on a ledge, and each pig is different

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.