Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi there!

Freedumb

Cavy Slave
Hi! A little bit about me: My name is Leverett and I am 13 years old. I am new to guinea pigs and have a lot to learn but I'm getting there! I have 3 male guinea pigs. Their names are Snickers, Cephas, and Judas Priest. I adopted Snickers in June of 2015 from my dad's coworker, Judas from a person on Craigslist on Valentine's day, and Cephas from he Wake County Animal Center 2/3 weeks ago. I used to have Snickers and Judas in a PetSmart cage. We were looking for a dog on the WCAC website and saw a guinea pig and I fell in love with him. I emailed his foster parent and we were told we needed to upgrade their cage to a DIY cage before we could adopt him. We promptly did so (a 3x5) and adopted Cephas. The foster parent also directed me to this site. I have read up on some of the info and so for it seems the only thing we were missing was a decent sized cage! :D

Freedumb

Cavy Slave
Too late to edit.
We transformed the PetSmart cage into a clover and lettuce patch for them :D

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum Leverett. Sounds like you are off to a good start! We love to see pigtures of fur babies :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I also live in North Carolina and I remember seeing Cephas on the WCAC site a few weeks ago. I'm so glad he got a good home.

Freedumb

Cavy Slave
Thank you both! I will be posting 'pigtures' sometime tomorrow :)

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forums... Looking forward to reading more about your pigs
Enjoy piggy slavedom...

Freedumb

Cavy Slave
Oops, forgot to post the pigtures. Here they are :) IMG_20160501_210415.jpg Right now, they are in their 2x5 C&C cage.
IMG_20160501_210732.jpg Snickers is next to the carrot and Cephas is in the hay pile. IMG_20160501_210800.jpg Cephas is behind the fluffy Judas. IMG_20160501_210520.jpg I cut Judas' hair a few days ago which is why it is so short. It is crazy how fast it grows ;)

Freedumb

Cavy Slave
Too late to edit.
I forgot to mention above: The 3x5 is put in storage for the time being (we had to move them from the quest room to my much smaller room as we are housing some guests).

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cage looks nice.

But I think you need an adjustment to their diet. It looks like there's a good bit of fruit in there, and fruit is pretty much a no-no for pigs. They don't process sugar well, and it can upset their digestive tracts. Fruit should be limited to a small treat occasionally.

They also need leafy greens -- red or green leaf lettuce should be staples. They can have small amounts of kale or spinach occasionally. And they need a source of vitamin C, since they can't make it for themselves. Bell peppers are the easiest and cheapest.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what they can have and how often.

Freedumb

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I started them on Jarbax's diet a week or 2 ago. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/24770-Sample-Veggie-Menus We had some extra fruit in the fridge that needed to be eaten so I attempted to get them to eat it. I fed it to them with their dinner (red/green/romaine mix, celery, cilantro, red bell pepper, and parsely) but they just weren't into it. I think Snickers may have had a single chunk of kiwi. They largely just ignored the fruit and stuck to their normal dinner. By the time I took the pictures, only the fruit was left ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.