Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Congested Pneumonia

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
One of our new fosters has pneumonia, according to the vet (not my usual one). She was prescribed Sulfa-trimeth. Her last dose is tomorrow morning. She got better after a couple of days, and I have continued antibiotics until they are gone. I checked on her before leaving for work tonight and she is making the same strange breathing noise she was making when I rushed her to the vet. She doesn't sound crackly like she did, but she's making a strange noise when I hold her up to my ear. Could she maybe have something wrong with her that is not pneumonia, since this is happening while on antibiotics? I will take her to the vet Monday, if need be, but I have already shelled out money on her, and another pig that will need surgery for an abscess on Thursday. I have care credit if it comes to that, but am just trying to get some ideas here.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old is the pig? Sulfa-trimeth (Bactrim) is not the drug of choice for pneumonia unless it's a very young pig. Baytril is more commonly used, but can stunt the growth of pups, so vets will usually try Bactrim first.

But it's very possible that it didn't do the job, and that the pig will need more/different treatment. They can give stronger antibiotics, like gentamycin, by nebulizer, and that's often more effective for respiratory infections anyway.

I'd want an x-ray to see what's going on with the lungs. If the pig is over six months old, I'd want her on Baytril, plus doxycycline (orally) or gentamycin (nebulized).

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
Supposedly she is 7 years old. The vet did an xray because I requested one because she had been eating fleece and I was concerned about intestinal blockage. I guess we will try to see our regular vet Monday.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I am hoping to call the vet that had prescribed the Bactrim and have her give Baytril instead, but with it being Sunday I won't be able to call until Monday. The Bactrim did work at first, but now it seems it is not working. I have another pig that is also on Bactrim for a bite/abscess and it is a stronger mixture. Could I give the stronger mixture, just for today, to get us through until Monday? I will be stuck at work from 3pm Sunday until 7am Monday morning and would hate the thought of her suffering all that time.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I probably would, although it may not do any good.

Does this vet only prescribe Bactrim for guinea pigs? It's meant for treating gram-negative bacteria, which are mostly found in the urinary tract. It's not the first drug of choice of most other things.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I'm not really sure. So far she is doing well. I just can't figure this pig out. One minute she's just fine, with no noises, and the next minute she makes noise when she breathes. I have read about pigs that "hoot" and it's a heart thing. Is that constant, or intermittent? How loud is it?

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
An update: I took Kit Kat to my regular cavy vet, and he seems to think she has mycoplasma or possibly asthma. He got the x-ray from the vet her originally saw her, and he doesn't see fluid in the lungs. There were other pigs housed with her, and one still is, and neither pig has gotten an URI, so I think he may be onto something. Mycoplasma is infectious early on. He thinks she may have had this for a while, and it is only just now flaring up. Does anyone have any experience with Mycoplasma? I tried to look it up online and there is not really any info.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not uncommon in humans, particularly in those with compromised immune systems. It has some differences from "normal" bacteria, and doesn't respond to the usual antibiotics.

In humans, it's often not treated, and is a self-limiting disease. Guinea pigs can carry it, and it can be cultured from their nasal passages without their showing any other symptoms. The references I can find say it is treated with tetracycline, which is not on the GL list of antibiotics to avoid, although some of its analogs are.

If you google "mycoplasma in guinea pigs" (without the quotes), you'll find a bunch of hits. You could also go over the Guinea Lynx and search in the Emergency and Medical forum for "mycoplasma" (again without the quotes).

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I did the exact search "mycoplasma in guinea pigs" and didn't get anything. Maybe I will try a different search engine. I cannot access guinea lynx at work, for some reason, so I will have to check it out when I get home. They gave me doxycycline, which I checked the acceptable antibiotics list for before I gave any, and it was on the list.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I have another question. Her eyes are very watery, crusty, and the bottom eye lids are red and inflamed. He gave eye drops for her, and I think I recall you saying once to someone else to never give antibiotic eye drops to a guinea pig. I could be very mistaken on that, though. He prescribed Gentocin Durafilm, and when I looked it up it said it is for dogs only. Should I be putting these drops in her eyes?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can put antibiotic drops in their eyes, you just have to be very careful not to let them ingest any of it. That's especially true of Gentocin, which is a very strong antibiotic.

If possible, you should hold the pig still after putting it in her eyes, then wipe any drops off her face. But good luck with that. I'm betting it won't be easy.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
Thank you so very much. I really appreciate all the help you give.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Myco is something that you would normally see in rats.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.