Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n How do you feel?

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I just thought I could make a thread on what you feel about animals, if it gets to you at some point, and you cant seem to take the critism from others or you just feel sad about how they are killed and treated. You can post here and share you feelings.

I just seemed so unhappy today thinking about all the animals killed and slaughtered. I know that I alone cannot change the world and I dont think that everyone will see how the ''meat'' on their burger was once a living breathing creature with feelings, that was cruelly killed just so they can enjoy it for a fleeting couple of minutes.

Today someone I know thought that being a vegetarian means you can still eat chicken.. I said no, it means you cannot eat any meat from an animal. I then contiuned to tell them about being a vegan... ''well that sucks'' they replied.

People just dont seem to understand why I am a vegetarian and why people are vegans. Why does society have to be so anti- vegetarian? Whenever I tell someone I'm a vegetarian no support just ''oh that must be awful'', is it so awful to be saving 90 animals lives per year?

They dont realise that the ''meat'' so neatly packaged and presented was in fact an animal. Its ''food'' and always will be classified and dismissed as such. Im constantly bombarded with animal jokes, how I cant eat meat. Well im proud that I dont eat meat. Im happy that I dont. They can critisie me all they want at least I am making a difference.

Sorry to vent just had a bad day. Feel free to post any experiences you have had as well:)

Susan W

Cavy Slave
It sounds like your friends are being very catty with you. People do know that what they buy in the store is animals, they just don't care. It comes from growing up in a society where we are raised to not care, and some people (such as those who would be catty with you about meat) are proud of not caring. I used to be one of them once, and I remember. It took me learning that my heart was closed to the suffering of the animals, closed because of the things others said to me to hurt me over the years of my life. I really COULDN'T feel for the animals at that time, even if I tried. Until they learn to love something besides themselves, they won't change. Try to forgive them for now, you just have to give them time to grow up at their own pace. Congratulations on sticking with your convictions in the face of people who just aren't ready to understand.

amyjane

Cavy Slave
Fluffball said:
Today someone I know thought that being a vegetarian means you can still eat chicken.. I said no, it means you cannot eat any meat from an animal. I then contiuned to tell them about being a vegan... ''well that sucks'' they replied.

I've heard this same thing before. I'm not sure where on earth they got that idea! Apparently chicken doesn't qualify as meat??

Alicemcmallis

Cavy Slave
People can be funny. Funny strange not funny ha ha. I have had arguments with people about eating chicken and fish "not counting" as eating meat. I always wonder why they care anyway! I feel that I shouldn't be eating chicken or fish, they feel they should, so that's the end of the story as far as I'm concerned. Why do they try and convince me that it's "okay" to eat something I am not okay with eating?! ARGH! :)

I have also had people say "Wow, that really sucks that you can't eat that stuff! Poor you!". NO it doesn't suck. It's a good thing I am not eating that stuff. I'm perfectly happy not eating those things or I wouldn't choose to not eat them. I think it sucks that they think it's okay to eat that stuff, but if I were to tell them that I would be labelled the stereotypical radical vegetarian who is trying to impose my beliefs on others. Very frustrating.

Yay for venting! :)

Alicemcmallis

Cavy Slave
Apparently chicken doesn't qualify as meat??

I have had many people tell me it's an intelligence thing. Chickens and fish are really stupid so it's okay to eat them. I like to reply with either "Oh so that means it would be okay to kill and eat you? *snicker*" or, on a more serious and disturbing note, "So we should be able to eat severly retarded people because they have such low IQ levels? Or people in vegetative states?".

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Well, it's been just over a year since I became a vegetarian and yet I hear the same old things being said to me. People use the pathetic arguments like:

1) It's unhealthy to be vegetarian. You're a growing girl who needs protein, which you can't get without meat
2) I could never give up meat, it just tastes so good. Excuse me, I used to eat meat like a maniac, usually 2 times a day for my entire life. If I can give it up overnight, them I'm sure others can
3) Animals are meant for eating, that's how it's been since time began. Cavemen used to hunt and eat meat. Hello? Do people not realise we are living in a totally different era to then where we have all types of food available at our fingertips. We no longer have to rely on meat, there is so much else
4) If everyone became vegetarians, then there would be a overpopulation of animals. Stupid stupid people. If people became veggies, then we would stop breeding animals and close down factory farms, so how could there be an overpopulation?

ARGH! It ticks me off so much - my family and closest friends are really supportive but they still say these things to me. Nobody else I know cares about animals as much as I do and they think I'm some sort of hippie for doing the things I do. Some people laughed when I said I got my pigs from a rescue, they said why didn't you just go to the petstore. Like one friend of mine - she's obssessed about meat and eats it really regularly. Yet she says to me "I really care about animals and I would love to be a vet". I don't think so matey

Phew, that feels so good getting it off my chest.

WAIT! I just thought of something else. I also cringe when I tell people I'm a veggie and they reply "Yeah, I don't eat meat that often either". You are still a meat eater! If you have the capacity to eat meat once a week rather than everyday, you are still classified as a meat eater. You still have the capacity to eat a dead animal and not care. Also, when people say I would never eat a dog, cat, rabbit etc. How can one draw the line between cows and dogs. Animals are animals and both are so intelligent and have the same feelings.

OR! (Hey, I'm on a roll). When they say "If you don't eat animals, then you shouldn't be eating plants either". Now tell me, do plants have a nervous system and a brain like animals? NO! They are totally different

Apart from the closet people around me, I don't get positive comments. It's always excuses and criticism

Solebomber

Cavy Slave
I am not a Vegetarian and probably never will be, I have many friends that are Vegans and Vegetarians the idea of discussing our eating habits has just never been an issue, they accept that I am not and I accept that they are and 99.44% of the time unless we go out to dinner it isn't something we even think about.
I think its a matter of personal choice and lifestyle and thats how I feel.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.