Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Pig Jumps Over Cage Wall?

Cativision

Cavy Slave
In my last topic I mentioned I recently made a beautiful two story DIY pig cage, out of thick plywood and plexiglass. The cage measures 80x30in, a little bit bigger than a 2x6 C&C.The plexiglass is 4 1/2 inches tall, including a narrow, thick wood piece going around the cage that mounts the plexiglass. Here is the picture:
12718001_496866333826230_2102972590611119867_n.jpg

My family was concerned that the pigs would be able to hop over the wall, but I had faith in my pigs- maybe a little too much. I spoke too soon, and Alabaster finally figured a way over the wall. So he jumped it again. And again. And again. And again. You get the point. Hurley, Saige and Alaska don't even pay attention to the walls, unless there is food coming their way. But Alabaster is completely fascinated by the wall, and seem to leave it alone (probably because he is the biggest attention hog I ever had) I am becoming exasperated just trying to keep him in.
I do, however, have some ideas to fix this issue, but I would like some insight on them before acting upon them.

1. Add another piece of plexiglass over the wall already mounted. Sure it may fix my issue, but how will I be able to reach into the cage to feed them and clean up? Not only are there restrictions, but it completely ruins the look of the cage-it'll look tacky with another piece of plexiglass over plexiglass. Oh, also expensive. Very expensive.

2. Redrill the plexiglass to the inside of the cage. This will fix the issue greatly, but still won't look the nicest (obviously not the biggest issue here, but I still want it to look aesthetically pleasing) However. my grandpa (who built the cage) is going on chemo soon, so I won't be able to do it as fast as I would like it to be.

Just for the night I have moved the two into the hospital cage, but this is only temporary and the issue must be resolved immediately. I am extremely frustrated and disappointed it didn't work out how I wanted it to, can someone please help??

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Can't you just return the plexi glass to the store and get a bigger size? I've never worked with plexi glass, nor do i know if it comes in different sizes, but maybe that could be a solution....? Some people I know have some how put plexi glass in wood, to make a sort of window. Maybe you could do that? Also, is the guinea pig that's jumping an abyssinian? I used to have one, and he would always jump over the walls and hide beneath my bed. Most abyssinian guinea pigs have a naughty character.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Every pig I've ever had could have easily jumped over that wall.

If you can reach into the cage with that wall, why couldn't you reach in with a 12 inch wall?

And just sayin', but the plexiglass won't always look that good. it gets scratch and dim looking, so if you're wanting something that looks good for a long time, that may not be it. It depends on your pigs and the quality of the plexiglass, but the stuff I had was pretty scratched after only a few months.

Cativision

Cavy Slave
At the time I actually thought it was tall enough, but everyday I started to notice that it wasn't. That's why this topic is here. The opening into the cage is 14inches wide, so with a 12in wall I most definitely cannot reach into the cage. My mom recommended extending it upward 2 inches, but i'm not sure if that's good enough.

And I personally just prefer plexiglass. I never liked the look of C&C cages in the first place, and this cage is custom made for my bedroom. My room is in the attic, so all the walls are slanted and flat walls aren't really a thing. This is made to fit under a slant in my room, where a flat wall is. You get what I am trying to say?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.