PDA

View Full Version : Scratching Mites or fleas?

Sydnosa
03-29-16, 01:16 pm
My pigs have been scratching for a few weeks now and one punctured herself and started bleeding so I took them to the vet. He did a skin scraping which was inconclusive, but gave me an Idea on how to treat for fleas. It's not working and I've been reading up on fleas and mites. My pigs don't have any hair loss, but they do have flea dust. One time one of my pigs was sensitive when I was looking through her fur. I don't know how I should treat it.

bpatters
03-29-16, 01:25 pm
Fleas you can see crawling through the fur if you comb through it carefully with your fingers. They'll probably be concentrated around the anus or the eyes. Mites are invisible and can't be seen. For future reference, there's no way the vet can accurately diagnose mites. Skin scrapings are painful for the pig and for your pocketbook, miss the mites at least half the time, and the end recommendation is the same as if you hadn't had the scraping done -- treat the pig for mites. You can do that yourself without a vet visit.

If I were you, I'd treat with ivermectin. See this thread for where to get it and how to dose it: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites.

Sydnosa
04-02-16, 11:06 am
Can it hurt them if I treat them for mites but that's not what they have

pigmommy89
04-02-16, 11:32 am
No, it won't hurt to treat them for mites even if they don't have them.

bpatters
04-02-16, 11:32 am
No, it won't. Ivermectin is safe for killing a lot of parasites as long as it's dosed correctly.