Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Building hide houses?

megamazing

Cavy Slave
I work at Home Depot so I was thinking about picking up some materials to make my piggies hide houses. I know that certain woods are ok for them and certain woods are not, so that's my question. If I were to build some for them what materials are ok and what do I avoid?

Definitely avoid any kind of treated wood, or anything laminated. Most wooden houses that are sold for guinea pigs are made of pine or fir.

Definitely avoid any kind of treated wood, or anything laminated. Most wooden houses that are sold for guinea pigs are made of pine or fir.

Great thanks!

When you build the houses make sure they have two ways in and out, opposite corners works great.

When you build the houses make sure they have two ways in and out, opposite corners works great.

Cool, I didn't even think of that.

For binding materials, I would assume wood glue and not screws. But I'm not sure if that's safe for them either? I would feel so bad if they came into contact with something they shouldn't and it was my fault.

I think Elmer's Wood Glue Max is safe, and here's a link with a couple of others.

Try to use poplar wood, as its safer than pine (although harder to cut)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.