PDA

View Full Version : Hello!!

megamazing
03-20-16, 09:10 am
Hello there! My name's Meg. I'm a very new piggie mom. Friday night my fiancÚ and I stopped into Petco to look around (I know I know I know. There's not a lot of places to adopt guinea pigs around me.) and, after leaving, going about our foodshopping, and going BACK to Petco, we left with a longhaired female Guinea Pig who I named Hermoine :). We got her all set her up in her new cage, complete with hay, chew toy, etc everything she needed. She was pretty nervous and I noticed the next morning that she hadn't eaten any pellets or any of the veggies I gave her, or had any water. That made me kind of nervous and I figured that not only was she still adjusting but she was probably lonely. So we went back Saturday afternoon and got her a buddy...she had been raised in the same enclosure with another short haired female so we got her too, and named her Luna. They're both doing well now, I caught Hermoine drinking some water this morning and I've noticed a good amount of poop which leads me to believe they're both eating. =]. I'm glad I found this website so I can stop googling every single question I have and getting thousands of answers LOL.

PiggyGrandma15
03-20-16, 10:04 am
Welcome! Piggies do so much better with a friend, good for you for noticing and taking steps to help her acclimate. This forum is such a great place for information. One of the things I picked up here is that often piggies are super shy and take a few days to really get into the eating and drinking while big scary people are around. It is their prey instincts to hide.

If I could give 2 small pieces of suggestions. ..
First, take a look and double, triple, quadruple check that they are both female. Petstores are notorious for missexing.
Second, the cage in the photo looks like it is a run of the mill cage from the average pet store. Piggies need lots of room to run around. Often tight living quarters can lead to squabbles that just keep escalating. That being said, it sounds like your additions weren't really planned ahead, so maybe you have plans in the works to expand already.

megamazing
03-20-16, 10:13 am
Welcome! Piggies do so much better with a friend, good for you for noticing and taking steps to help her acclimate. This forum is such a great place for information. One of the things I picked up here is that often piggies are super shy and take a few days to really get into the eating and drinking while big scary people are around. It is their prey instincts to hide.

If I could give 2 small pieces of suggestions. ..
First, take a look and double, triple, quadruple check that they are both female. Petstores are notorious for missexing.
Second, the cage in the photo looks like it is a run of the mill cage from the average pet store. Piggies need lots of room to run around. Often tight living quarters can lead to squabbles that just keep escalating. That being said, it sounds like your additions weren't really planned ahead, so maybe you have plans in the works to expand already.

Thanks for replying!!
Yes we are definitely planning on expanding ASAP, as well as buying some big enclosures to give them floor time as well once they are used to us. And yes I will definitely make sure they're both female!

PeanutnCookie
03-20-16, 02:16 pm
Welcome! I hope we can answer any other questions you have :) Your pigs are adorable by the way

Comely Guineas
03-20-16, 07:24 pm
Welcome to the forum. I know you said you will be expanding which is good because that cage is tiny. But I will leave this video here in case you need any more reasons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8DkTrIfTNs. Good luck with your piggies :)

ahotchicken
03-20-16, 10:21 pm
Your piggies are adorable!

megamazing
03-21-16, 10:26 am
Yes we are expanding Friday. We found a ginormous open top cage and a pretty huge enclosure for floor time.

PiggleHugger
03-21-16, 05:36 pm
The fluffy one looks SO MUCH like my Oswald. 78829

maddy harper
03-24-16, 02:25 am
Hello and welcome