Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hairless Guinea Pigs Bred in UK

CavyKind

Cavy Slave
Well, of course it was only going to be when not if...that breeders in the UK got hold of some hairless guinea pigs to breed :mad:

Today I received an email from someone wanting to adopt a couple of females... if I had any available. Didn't want "furred" guinea pigs!

How long before we see them in UK pet shops? Me? I'd say off the top of my head...4-5 years?
Initially breeders will be selling them to each other and privately for a nice little profit.

Before I go, I plan to highlight this on my site and really need a hairless guinea pig photo to illustrate the plight of these poor animalas. So if anyone can help...it must be your copyright...please get in touch. I will of course give you credit re pic, if you wish.

Cheers,
Barbara

Matt & Guins

Cavy Slave
I have the understanding that there have been hairless cavies in the UK for a number of years, especially since there are no importation bans from other countries.

Matt

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I have quite a few Lina photo's on my domain. They were all taken by me. Off the top of my head:

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
A couple more:

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
And more:

That's all I have uploaded. If you want more e-mail me or pm me.

If you use them credit goes to Sabriel MoonStar and please list my domain . I have video showing her anti-social tendancies if you wish.

CavyKind

Cavy Slave
Sabriel, for some reason I can't see your pics. I will pm you.

Edited to add ~ I can see them now!

I will most certainly use them and of course all credit will be given to you for pics and link to your site. Would you consider writing a few lines about your little one and what it is like to care for one of these special guinea pigs? Obviously you have the experience, I don't and can only write in the most general terms.
Though I will of course portray the guinea pigs in sympathetic terms, they didn't ask to be born...I will in no way promote them. The very last thing we want to do is encourage people to buy them!

If you don't feel as though you wish to contribute further, no problem.

Thank you very much,
Barbara

Last edited:

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I have to go pick up a house guest soon, but once she is settled in and we finish our errands I will gladly write a little speech.

If you do a search for Lina or read through the first skinny pig thread I am sure you will find I have already provided some opionions.

The videos clearly show Lina's anti-social tendancies. If you don't want to upload them onto you site maybe I can put some of them on a corner of mine. I also have the Animal Planet Pet Star's guinea pig fiasco hosted as well :) I could make a little "Please don't breed any more pigs like me" page on my site. I am certainly not lacking the scape, time or resources. (Which is why I feel so bad when I don't update)

Cavie Cove

Cavy Slave
I have the understanding that there have been hairless cavies in the UK for a number of years, especially since there are no importation bans from other countries.
There were certianly hairless breeds in the UK in 2003.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
They are definitely available in the UK but it's a question of when they start to turn up for general sale.

Cavie Cove

Cavy Slave
They are definitely available in the UK but it's a question of when they start to turn up for general sale.
Well whenever they do pet shops are going to be making a lot of money.

CavyKind

Cavy Slave
Cavie Cove said:
Well whenever they do pet shops are going to be making a lot of money.

And as usual, the rescues will be left to pick up the pieces...
Personally, I see them being sold privately for the forseeable future, the breders will want the maximum profit.

Barbara

C&K

Cavy Slave
Personally, I see them being sold privately for the forseeable future, the breders will want the maximum profit.

They probably will be, I agree with you, but a skinny pig can sell for 5-10 times more in Canada in a petshop then a regular pig. I have seen Smooth Coated Americans for $12.99, and Skinny's for $100.00 I find it so sad, because what is the likelyhood someone is going to buy two if they have to pay $100.00.

I would think it will be like anything, the breeders will sell there pigs privately for the most money, but some will just start mass producing them for the petshop stream, or those who can't sell their own stock will dump at petstores too.

And once again, Skinny's will be sold with bad information to unsuspecting owners, who have no idea what they are getting into.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.