Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Sore back feet on piggie

novapiglover

Cavy Slave
hi! i have an 8 month old boar who ever since ive gotten him from not-so-ideal conditions (lack of hay and clean bedding, lack of daily veggies) about a month ago, he has had red, sore-looking back feet but there doesnt seem to be any pain as he walks just fine, and his weight is consistent. should I be worried?

Eat the cheese

Cavy Slave
When I had this happen to my pigs once I put baby oil on there feet, this was a while ago tho when I didn't know a lot about Guinea pigs, u should probs check if it's safe first

novapiglover

Cavy Slave
I will check and i will try this if its okay for them! thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Rather than using baby oil, go to a grocery store and get some cold pressed virgin coconut oil. It has both antibacterial and antifungal properties, and will be more protection for his feet.

novapiglover

Cavy Slave
will do! thank you for all the help!!

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
One of my guinea pigs also has angry red feet with scales, no pain and otherwise perfectly happy and healthy. He's had them for years, even though he is housed on clean fleece. I'm not sure why this is, but in my research all I've found is putting coconut oil on them can help.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Just some redness and coming from a poor condition could definitely mean urine scald. Even if you keep your cage really clean, a lot of pigs just like to sit in the same spot, so move his most used hidey around to make sure he's not constantly in the same spot when sleeping.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.