Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Guinea pig owner

Lily.jo

Cavy Gazer
a6c6143860bb53546b7b0a7821015ed9.jpg[/IMG].

Hi I am a New Guinea pig owner ! This is my boy Leo ❤️ I adopted him from a family who couldn't take care of him anymore. He is very sweet. He loves to cuddle and play. He is probably a year or so. Leo is very calm , any tips to help me through this journey ?

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
Hi welcome to the forum :). Leo's really cute. You should consider getting him a large cage. You should look into C&C cages, they're really cheap and great in general. Another thing you should definitely do is adopt a friend for him. Preferably of the same gender. Guinea pigs are very social animals so he'd do better with a friend. But you should research the whole introducing guinea pigs together process:) But before anything you should make sure he's a boy. If you need any help remember you can always turn to the forum.

Lily.jo

Cavy Gazer
One of my best friends has another one and so they have play dates together ! His name is Chester ,

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
That's great, but he should really have a friend that's with him 24/7, you can take your time but it's what's best for him

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
One of my best friends has another one and so they have play dates together ! His name is Chester ,

Play dates are not recommended, especially for boars. Every time you set them on the floor together, it's like being introduced to eachother, every time. Introductions are very stressful for pigs, as they have to define a hierarchy; who will be top pig. Not to mention the stress of taking him away from the other pig each time, and going back to being alone, which guinea pigs are not very happy living alone. And one of the times you bring him over for a play date, you could end up with flying fur and blood out of seemingly nowhere. Guinea pig introductions, especially with boars, can be rather unpredictable sometimes.

I highly recommend adopting him a friend. He will be much happier to have a buddy with him all the time instead of just once in a while.

Also, how big is your cage? If you do adopt another, cage size will need to be taken into consideration. A 2x5 grid long C&C is the smallest recommended size for two boars. :)

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Leo is adorable :) But I do agree with [MENTION=35658]just8be8free[/MENTION] that it would be better to get him buddy :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Play dates are stressful for pigs. Each time they come together they have to establish dominance so I would stop the play dates and first get a large enough cage for two males (at least a 2X5) and get him a friend.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.