Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Life saving advice-vet mistakes-syringe feeding

Prinette

Cavy Slave
After reading on the forums here for my three little guys I realized that they had URIs. I took them to the vet as soon as I could after realizing this, thinking the problem would be solved after I got my antibiotics. I received the drugs and came home. As I filled the syringe I realized that the name of the drug looked familiar and took to GL. To my shock I found that the medications I had been given were lethal to my poor piggies. I called the vet upon noticing this and they said that it would be fine, go ahead and give it to them. Maybe 6 minutes later they called back frantically telling me not to give them the medication, they had made a mistake. Fortunatly I knew better and hadn't given them anything so they are doing okay for now.

Word of advice is to always check meds before you give them, guys.

To those who read this I would also like to know if it would be wise to give my sickest pig, who weighs 20 grams less than his brother who is smaller than him in stature but the same age, a few syringe fulls of mushed pellets tonight. I'm scared he isn't eating enough and I really don't want him to get scurvy on top of his infection.

Thanks for reading and any advice. And always keep in mind that sometimes even the best vets make mistakes!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If your vet isn't an exotic vet, you should look for one. Small animal (dog and cat) vets get almost no education/training in the care of exotics, and some of them are downright dangerous. The ethical ones won't even see guinea pigs unless they've had some special education in the care of exotics.

Your pig won't get scurvy because it has a URI. Scurvy is caused by a lack of vitamin C, and if you're feeding pellets with stabilized vitamin C and veggies that have vitamin C, you don't need to give the pellet slurry. You can supplement with vitamin C if you're worried, and it never hurts to give some to a sick pig. A plain vitamin C tablet can be crushed and part of it sprinkled on veggies, or you can dissolve some in a bit of water and give it with a syringe.

Aim for about 30-50 mg. of vitamin C. So don't buy the 1000 mg tablets -- you'll never figure out how little to give. Get some that are 100 mg. or less, and then use the appropriate fraction of the tablet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.