PDA

View Full Version : Vet Are humidifiers safe and roamine better?

Beatrix187
02-22-16, 08:42 pm
Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been on the forum for a while, been quite busy around here.
Anyways, Domino was hooting and had smaller poops so I took him to the vet.
She said that it was probably slight dehydration, so she reccomended we get a humidifier and feed him romaine instead of green leaf.
So first of all I want to make sure that my Sunbeam SCM1100 is safe, it says something about baking soda so just making sure.
Next, I feel like disagreeing when she says to switch him back to Romaine. He use to eat that but then I switched him to green leaf because of the calcium. But now she wants me to switch back because the water content is higher. So I am a bit confused about that.

Thank you!

bpatters
02-22-16, 09:15 pm
Some pigs have trouble with romaine, some don't. If your pigs leave white spots where the urine has dried, take them off the romaine. You can syringe them some water, or give them a slice or two of cucumber, and feed their lettuce extra wet.

Humidifiers can be a problem. Mold can develop in the tubing, and if that happens (and it's hard to know if it has), you're doing more harm than good. If you're scrupulous about cleaning it, and replacing the tubing often, it may be ok.

But... How old is Domino? It's possible for a pig to hoot from heart problems, and some vets don't know that they can even have heart problems.

They can also hoot from an upper respiratory infection. I have one that's just gotten over pneumonia, and the main symptom was hooting.

I'd want a chest x-ray. It will show if there's anything going on with the lungs, and it should show if his heart is enlarged. If you vet isn't willing to do that, I'd look for a different vet.

Beatrix187
02-22-16, 09:44 pm
Some pigs have trouble with romaine, some don't. If your pigs leave white spots where the urine has dried, take them off the romaine. You can syringe them some water, or give them a slice or two of cucumber, and feed their lettuce extra wet.

Humidifiers can be a problem. Mold can develop in the tubing, and if that happens (and it's hard to know if it has), you're doing more harm than good. If you're scrupulous about cleaning it, and replacing the tubing often, it may be ok.

But... How old is Domino? It's possible for a pig to hoot from heart problems, and some vets don't know that they can even have heart problems.

They can also hoot from an upper respiratory infection. I have one that's just gotten over pneumonia, and the main symptom was hooting.

I'd want a chest x-ray. It will show if there's anything going on with the lungs, and it should show if his heart is enlarged. If you vet isn't willing to do that, I'd look for a different vet.

We will definetly be careful with the humidifier. And I will defintely moniter his urine with the romaine and feed cucumber more.

Domino is about 3 years old, (turned 3 in December) and my vet said that if the hooting keeps on going on, we should get an x-ray.

She also checked his heart and everything and said he seemed perfectly normal. We suspected a URI but he didn't seem to have one.

The old humidifier broke so we got a new one. I want to use it for a couple of days, and if he is still hooting, I will definetly consider an x-ray.

Thank you for the help and I will definetly do updates. :)

Beatrix187
03-09-16, 01:59 pm
UPDATE: We have used the humidifier, switched to romaine:no white spots on fleece, and no wheezing! So of course we will still keep an eye on him, but for now he is all good! :)
(We will be getting more cucumbers soon)

spy9doc
03-10-16, 09:45 am
I'm a big proponent of humidifiers, especially for those of us who live in colder climates and often suffer from extra dry air caused by our heating systems. I have a large humidifier in our bedroom and a small one in the piggy room. I think we ALL feel much better as a result. And, yes, the humidifier should be frequently cleaned and filter replaced.

foggycreekcavy
03-11-16, 11:08 am
I use a humidifier as well in the rescue room. I have a thermometer that also monitors humidity and check on it daily. I can also tell when it's starting to be too dry when some of the pigs start developing dry skin.