Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Tater Tot Bit, Not Normal

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
So I weigh all my Guinea pigs daily (all six of them) I know I probably only need to weigh mom and the four babies but I like to monitor my boy Tater Tot too just to be safe. I weigh them all in the same order and Tater Tot is last. I spend about 5 minutes with each Guinea pig on my lap normally feeding them cilantro or lettuce. Tonight Tater Tot got really restless after only a couple of minutes and he was sniffing me like crazy. He crawled onto my hand and bit my left index finger HARD. Not hard enough to draw blood but it hurt! So I have two questions. Did he bite because of the smell of all the other Guinea pigs you think? And after he bit me I put him back in his cage with the rest of his veggies. Was I wrong in doing that? Did I just train him that he can just bite me super hard and get put back in his cage? It was not like his normal character. He has very lightly nibbled me before but this was a determined chomp. Any help is appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your hand likely smelled like something he thought was good to eat. I have one that I have to be careful with if I've handled food before I put my hands in the cage.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
I doubt you trained him that he can get back to the cage by biting after only 1 occurrence. But letting him lightly nibble your fingers was probably training him that it was ok to bite. I wouldn't let him do that in the future.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.