Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cheap "boundery"

iLoveDusty

Cavy Slave
Does anyone have any ideas for a "fence" like thing to put by all my dressers so I don't lose my pigs under it? They love to go under there, and I really don't mind, except they won't come out!

Cocoa is a little monster pig:mischievo , so I can't put blacks there because he just pushes them out of the way.

Is there anything I could put there (has to be relativly inexpensive) so they don't go under? Thanks!

Buy an extra box of grids and you can make boundaries from those.

I've been wondering this too, and do not currently have access to grids. I was thinking about some of the fencing that they have the dollar store, it is a hard plastic and fairly light, but I'm sure it could be secured somehow. It seems to be used in gardens and flowerbeds. I have to try and keep my piggies from under my bed!

They sell animal playpens at some petstores and walmart. They are somewhat like grids all hooked together so each panel swings seperately and can be shaped around things. It is low enough (10")some guinea pigs will jump over it but works if your blocking them off from running under something. I stack 2 on top of each other and ziptie them together so Rolo won't jump it.

Thats a good idea too aqh88. Just like iLoveDusty said, I also need something inexpensive. I haven't seen these playpens around for the past 3 years, and from what I remember they were around $30 + (Canadian) for about 8 grids. Right now I just use rubber bins, boxes and other storage containers or large books that I have laying around, but I don't trust these things to stay in place well.

I roll towels up and stuff them around the edges of all my furniture. It is totally pig-proof!

Since I was a kid we were always trying to block off areas for the guinea pigs to play in. Items we've used include: books, video tapes, boxes, storage containers, wood shelves taken from bookcases, towels, shirts, and lots of stuff I've forgotten. I wouldn't trade my walmart playpens for anything. It was so much easier to animal proof an area once I bought 2 of those. I could even let gerbils run around my room without losing them. Although I did end up with a few chewed cords despite putting them where I thought was out of reach. Usually I only let Rasheeka out because I taught her to stay on the surface I put her on such as not jumping off a bed or table. Guinea pigs are much easier to keep track of.

Thanks! I will definitaly try those ideas out. My mom won't let me put down towels, so I'll try the fencing at the dollar store, and the play-pen thing.

You can also scrunch up or roll up towels to put along the edges.

Hi there. This is actually my first post here. I just got my first gp less than a week ago. Until I am able to get down to the store and buy her all kinds of things I needed to use things around the house. For floor time I decided to cut some cardboard boxes from xmas (really perfect timing) and taped them together in a circle to form a boundary/pen to play safely. I'm sure you could do the same to keep them away from wherever you need. The flaps of big boxes are perfect!

festara said:
Hi there. This is actually my first post here. I just got my first gp less than a week ago. Until I am able to get down to the store and buy her all kinds of things I needed to use things around the house. For floor time I decided to cut some cardboard boxes from xmas (really perfect timing) and taped them together in a circle to form a boundary/pen to play safely. I'm sure you could do the same to keep them away from wherever you need. The flaps of big boxes are perfect!
congrats on your first guinea pig!!

Thanks for all your help!!

Oh yes, and congratulations on your piggie! (you have a good idea too)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.