PDA

View Full Version : Not Eating Strange Behavior

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 07:55 pm
My oldest gp Beans is acting every strangely. I came home to see him in his cage, lying down and then getting up, making a weird movement, itching himself, and laying back down. He only lays down for about 10 seconds before he gets back up again. He also isn't interested in treats or hay. Why does he keep itching himself & what is wrong??

bpatters
02-05-16, 08:11 pm
He may have mites. They can make a pig unable to settle down.

Where is he scratching?

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 08:32 pm
He may have mites. They can make a pig unable to settle down.

Where is he scratching?
Mostly his back side. I checked his skin all over looking for mites and couldn't find any signs of them. Not sure what's up

bpatters
02-05-16, 08:34 pm
You can't see mites. They're so small they're invisible, and they burrow under the skin.

You can treat for mites yourself. This is the easiest ivermectin to use: http://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Pour-On-For-Cattle/dp/B00JAL3AAW/ref=sr_1_4. You'll need a kitchen scale to weigh your pig, a 1 cc syringe marked off in hundredths, and this dosing chart: www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html.

Put half the medicine on the back of each ear, fold the ear backwards, and rub the medicine in. Do this once a week for four weeks.

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 08:37 pm
You can't see mites. They're so small they're invisible, and they burrow under the skin.

You can treat for mites yourself. This is the easiest ivermectin to use: http://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Pour-On-For-Cattle/dp/B00JAL3AAW/ref=sr_1_4. You'll need a kitchen scale to weigh your pig, a 1 cc syringe marked off in hundredths, and this dosing chart: www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html (http://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html).

Put half the medicine on the back of each ear, fold the ear backwards, and rub the medicine in. Do this once a week for four weeks.
Thanks so much but I'll probably take him to a vet tomorrow just to be sure. Is appetite loss normal?

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 08:43 pm
Now he's just lying down and getting back up over and over again...

bpatters
02-05-16, 08:59 pm
Yes, mites can make them lose their appetites.

Just don't let the vet do a skin scraping to test for mites. It's very painful for the pig, expensive for you, misses the mites 50% of the time, and the end result is the same as if you hadn't done the skin scraping -- treat for mites.

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 09:12 pm
Thanks for your help. Should I separate him from my other pig or is it too late

bpatters
02-05-16, 09:17 pm
No, don't separate them. But do treat them both.

Separating pigs that normally live together isn't a good idea unless one has a life-threatening illness that you don't want the other to get, or one has to be confined for some reason, like recuperation from surgery. They're generally more stressed out when they're apart, and that can bring it's own problems. Plus, by the time you realize one of them has something going on, the other one already has been thoroughly exposed.

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 09:20 pm
Should I bring the one that isn't showing any symptoms to the vet or just buy the medicine from Amazon and treat him at home?

bpatters
02-05-16, 09:22 pm
It depends. Sometimes a vet will send medicine home for the other pig without seeing it. But state laws vary, and in some states, the vet has to have a prior relationship with the pet, meaning that it must have been seen in the office at least once before the vet can do that. Other states don't have that requirement, so if I were you, I'd just call and ask. Actually, I'd just order the medicine and treat them both myself, and if they didn't get better, then I'd go to the vet.

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 09:26 pm
I'm just really worried it may be something other than mites. I've never taken him to the vet before and I believe he's almost 5 years old...

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 09:27 pm
I suppose I could hand-feed but I'm too worried about him and not experienced

bpatters
02-05-16, 09:51 pm
Why do you need to hand feed him? Is he not eating? Is he losing weight?

As far as being not experienced, you can learn whatever you need to learn to take care of him. If you can't hand feed him, who can? He's your pet, and you owe it to him to learn to take care of him. Post your questions here, and we'll help you.

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 10:05 pm
Yeah like I said he's not eating at all

bpatters
02-05-16, 10:11 pm
What do you usually feed him? What kind of hay, and how much? What kind of pellets, and how many? Which veggies, and how much of each?

How long has it been since he quit eating?

Will he eat anything at all?

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 10:22 pm
Forti-diet hay and encore pellets. They always have a supply of hay or at least some and I refill their pellets every day with about 1/8 cup. They usually get a half a carrot each and maybe a slice of cucumber or some parsley every day. When I left school this morning around 8 I didn't notice this behavior but I noticed it when I returned home at 3. So maybe around 3:00 today is when he stopped eating and he refuses to take any food right now

bpatters
02-05-16, 10:42 pm
See if he will take his favorite food if you cut it into matchstick-sized slices and push it toward the back of his mouth. You can try hay, carrot, cucumber, apple, anything he likes.

If he won't take that, can you get to a pharmacy and get a free needleless syringe to feed him with? If so, I'll tell you how to do it.

But if he's stopped eating, you need to get him to a good exotic vet as soon as you can tomorrow. Don't go to a small animal (dog and cat) vet -- they're not equipped to deal with exotics. They get little education and less training, and they can actually be dangerous. If you'll post where you are (city/state, not your address), we'll see if we can help you find a vet.

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 10:45 pm
I live in Hudson, OH. I'm gonna try and see if he'll eat carrot now

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 10:51 pm
He took a bite out of the carrot but the hunk that he bit off just fell out. I think he bit it because he got mad at me. :(

bpatters
02-05-16, 11:35 pm
There aren't any exotic vets in Hudson. I don't know how close these others are to you, but here's what I can find:

http://www.veterinarians.com/profile/north-coast-bird-exotic-specialty-hospital-norton-ohio.html
http://www.exoticpetvets.com/
http://www.westparkanimalhospital.com/veterinary-services/exotic-pet-care.html

Can you get to a pharmacy to get a syringe tonight?

Kayleigh_q
02-05-16, 11:36 pm
Nope..it's way past midnight and I can't be driving. I'll get one tomorrow morning after I call the vet