PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Bugman and Wes

bugman
02-01-16, 11:21 am
Howdy, folks! I have had a cavy companion for bout five months now. I name him Wes after late horror movie director Wes Craven, who died the night before I got him. I am a school teacher and I took Wes off the hands of a former family of mine. I love him dearly and have been lurking around here to learn the ins and outs of cavy care; i have mostly had small, cold-blooded animals--reptiles, fish, tarantulas--and large mammals--cats, dogs, children--so this was my first foray into small/medium-sized mammals. I have learned a lot from reading through the various threads on this wonderful site.

Currently, Wes lives in a 3.5'x1.5' cage, but I am planning on upgrading eventually. Currently, he lives in my classroom, so there are space limitations, but I want to build higher. I'm also very interested in setting Wes up in something that would approximate his natural, south-american mountain habitat, but I'm not sure how realistic or feasible this would actually be.

Anyway, this is a great site, and I look forward to being more active here. Thanks for all the goo tips and advice.

bpatters
02-01-16, 11:30 am
Actually, guinea pigs need flat, open spaces rather than heights. They love to run "zoomies," around and around the cage, and they can't do that if things are up. They're not climbers, and they didn't live in the mountains, but rather on the grassy flats at a fairly high altitude.

He really needs a buddy -- guinea pigs do much better with a pal.

bugman
02-01-16, 11:53 am
Actually, guinea pigs need flat, open spaces rather than heights. They love to run "zoomies," around and around the cage, and they can't do that if things are up. They're not climbers, and they didn't live in the mountains, but rather on the grassy flats at a fairly high altitude.

He really needs a buddy -- guinea pigs do much better with a pal.

yeah, i agree, workin on a pal.

yep, totally meant mountainous plateau. I guess i'll just hafta make sure to give him a nice outdoor pen come summer and spring.

bpatters
02-01-16, 11:57 am
Actually, an outdoor pen isn't a good idea.

For one thing, guinea pigs are very susceptible to heat stroke. They can't tolerate any temperatures over eighty-five degrees, and if they've got a really heavy coat, not that high.

For another, you can't protect them from biting, stinging insects outside. We don't recommend that guinea pigs ever be left outside, at all, unless you're sitting there with them and they're confined to a pen.

bugman
02-01-16, 02:30 pm
Of course I would not place a cavy--or any living being--in un-shaded or overly hot areas. Any outdoor pen I construct would also, of course, be enclosed with a very fine mosquito netting. I would never think of leaving them unattended. I am a firm believer in trying to provide animals with as much of a natural experience as I possibly can, and while our current cavies are domesticated, I want to provide mine with some outdoor experience, in a safe and controlled setting, of course.

Thanks for the tips.

Looking forward to learning more and more!