Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Covers using closet/wire shelf as lid

roxie9306

Cavy Slave
I posted a separate thread earlier about looking to make a new lid because i have a new cat and she is starting to sit on the lid and it fell in this morning. I want to use wire shelving, and I know that lowes and home depot sell them, but was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere else? I will most likely buy from one of them so they can be cut but I wasn't sure if they sold smaller ones that would be the right size so I can buy 2. I have a 2x3 cage so i thought i would need a 7ft by 16 inch wire shelf to cut in half. I have seen both 6ft and 8 ft, but not 7. 8 ft seems to be the best one ive seen so far, that way it will be enough to hang over the cage and be stable. One problem is, I might make the cage bigger soon and if I do, I don't want to go out and buy shelves all over again. I want to buy the shelves as soon as possible so I can't wait till I decide whether I'm making a bigger cage or not.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Most home improvement stores have wire cutters hanging right next to the shelves so you can cut them to the length that you want. And the come in all sorts of lengths. at least up to 16 feet, and maybe 20, so you'll have plenty of choices. Just buy something long enough that you can cut it in half and still have room to expand the cage if you decide you want to. If you decide not to, you can just cut some the lid off.

Do make the lid a couple of inches longer than your cage so that doesn't fall into the cage easily.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.