Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps New C&C cage w/ loft, pig blocking loft opening

tinywolfpig

Cavy Gazer
I just got a 2x4 C@C cage with a 2x1 loft. I have 3 pigs in there, and they really seem to love it. I've had my pigs for a year (2 are 'babies', so March will make it a year), and they're still pretty shocky. The mother isn't shocky, she's laid back but isn't social, either. One of the babies is social and comes up to greet you, but as soon as you put your hand in the cage she runs. The other one usually won't come near. It's taken to sitting up top, where the ramp meets the loft. She likes it because it's mostly surrounded with walls, except for the opening to get inside the loft, which I have made into their kitchen. But she just sits there, and doesn't let the other pigs by her. If they manage to get up while she's away from the opening, if she moves back while they're up there they get trapped because she won't even let the other two jump over her. Is there a way I could stop her from just sitting in there? Thanks

Ignore the liner in the picture of the loft I gave, it's temporary while I'm finishing their real liner today. :)

Attachments

pig loft.jpg
That's exactly why I hate lofts, and why I took the loft off my cage. The only thing you can do is remove it, or make the ramp so wide that a pig can't possibly block it, or put another ramp and the other end of the loft and pray that you don't have two pigs out of three that like to block ramps.

Would it be okay to score/cut part of the coroplast away so it's less of a hiding spot? Or does that affect the stability of the loft?

The coroplast has nothing to do with the stability of the loft. At least, it shouldn't. It's nothing but a waterproof layer and an edge to keep them from kicking hay/poop/bedding out of the cage.

I would either try to make the loft bigger and add another ramp or get rid of the loft all together.

Okay, so I'll probably end up clearing some of that coroplast away. Hopefully they won't stay up there, and hopefully as time goes on they'll be less shocky and won't feel like they have to hide every second. Thanks!

That's why I removed my loft. They also liked to hide under the ramp and under the loft. I'd remove it.

I have a 2x2 loft on a 2x6 cage for 3 girls. Occasionally one of my girls will block the ramp. I would recommend that you have 2 kitchens. One on each level.

I have 2 loft kitchens...one on either end of 2x6. One loft is a 2x4, the other 2x2. For a week I tried having one ramp to one kitchen and a bridge to the other. I didn't want to take space for zoomies away by 2 ramps...when I went to check the bridge it had become a poo bridge.:( Plus one pig could block the other from both kitchens. At the moment, there are 2 ramps. I will be moving them to a central area on the bottom so they have plenty of room to run. I think a lot is trial and error...lots of good ideas to try from other forum users.:0)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.