Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A hamster with a tail??!!

Da_3_mad_pigs

Cavy Slave
I have a syrian hamster called Choccy, and I was looking at him in the cage the other day and I saw he has a kind of tail:eek: ! I dont know if its poo:yuck: all stuck together, but when i try and pull what i thinks a tail of, it wont come of! What do you think it is?:confused:

can you post a pic?

The hamster is down at my dads house and i dont go there untill this weekend coming! I have a photo of him on his own, would that give you an idea if he is a rat or not?

Are you sure he is not a gerbil? Grebils have tails. Has he always had the tail? I have a pet rat and he is bigger than a hamster.

Um, I dont think he had it when he was a baby, shall I post a pic of him, would that help?

Ya post a pick and I'll tell you if he is a rat.

I am really sorry, I cant find the picture in my documents anywere! I will have another look tonight!

Ok that is fine. private message me when you get a picture.

ok, thanks!

Sure no ploblem!

Hamsters have little stub tails. They are usually pink like their feet.

Hamsters have little stub tails. They are usually pink like their feet.
Very good way to describe it. They do have little "stumpy" tails.
Gerbils are about the same size of hamsters but their fur to me seems more smoother. It could be a gerbil that has lost its tail and now only has a little bit of it left. I have 1 who has the end of her tail missing.
Picture of a gerbil tail and base of the tail.
(broken link removed)
https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/gerbily/gerbils012.jpg And a picture of Jasper from the front. Don't know if they help any.

:confused: this thread confused me.. I've always thought hamsters had tails. I've never had a hamster myself though so I'm no expert! They have little stumps like the above replies describe. Or is Syrian a different breed that isn't supposed to have a tail?:rolleyes:

Just did a search on google...
these are pics of Syrian hamsters. Looks like Choccy is normal after all:p

That is a regular hamster. It isn't a rat. Hamsters have short tails like that.

It looks longer than that, It looks like he has dred locks for a tail!

That is wierd. will you be able to get a pic. of him?

I will post it on saturday or sunday when I am at my dads house. :)

Ok! Does your dad take care of your hamster when you are not there?

I think you'd know if it was a rat - my ratties tails are very very long, even when they were babies they were at least an inch when ther were born!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.