Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing myself and my piggies!

katjenkins

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

My name is Kat and I am from Wyandotte, MI which is a southern suburb of Detroit, about 20 minutes away. I've had guinea pigs since I was a kid and have always had at least one or two. It wasn't until recently that I discovered the full extent of how to care properly for them, and I will readily admit it! My last guinea pig, April, was in a 2ftx3ft cage. Not too small but not quite big enough either and it was a store bought cage. April's cage mate Kowie passed away about 3 years ago after living a happy 6 years. April lived to be only 5. After April passed, my husband and I decided if we were to get another pig, we would do all the research and prepare before adopting them.

A month after April passed, my sister-in-law asked me to stop by a pet store to pick up food for her turtles. Of course, they had baby piggies sitting in what I knew was a much too small cage with dirty bedding and what looked like old, wilty veggies. I asked about them and was informed by the clerk 'They are 20 bucks and I don't know if they are boys or girls or none of that crap.' I ended up walking out with two girls that I was able to sex myself after the little bit of research I had done (I wanted to take all 8 of them but new that was not reasonable). We still had April's old cage, so when I got home, I cleaned it really good, put fresh bedding (CareFresh) in it along with some pellets and hay I picked up while at the store. That was one week ago from today.

I've named my new guinea pigs Pebble and Roxy. Pebble is a gray and white girl and Roxy is all brown (my husband calls her 'squirrel colored'). I've been weighing them a lot since I got them and I estimate they are only about 6-7 weeks old right now. I'm in the process of either ordering or making a new C&C cage. I'm also starting all my research about food and veggies and have already switched some things around!

I've continued my research and that's how I came across this site. I hope to get lots of tips and help from the forums!

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Help, and welcome to the forum! We'd love to see pictures of pebble and roxy!

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Nice store clerk. Real nice. :/
Even though this forum is pro-adopt, and i am now too, im still glad you got them out of there. Sounds like they werent being taken care f at all. At least petsmart cleans the cages.

Anyway, welcome! Love to see pics!

katjenkins

Cavy Slave
Nice store clerk. Real nice. :/
Even though this forum is pro-adopt, and i am now too, im still glad you got them out of there. Sounds like they werent being taken care f at all. At least petsmart cleans the cages.

Anyway, welcome! Love to see pics!

I tried very hard to walk out of there without them because by no means do I want to support their business, however, I couldn't leave them there! I would have gladly adopted - that was the plan all along. I may still adopt a couple more down the road!

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Well thats good. You know, i bought my babies at petsmart. But i was uneducated then. But they are happy, healthy, sweet babies and i wouldnt trade them for the world. I hope to expand my cage in the future, when i have the room to do so, and adopt a third girlie. :)

katjenkins

Cavy Slave
Here are pictures of my girls from last week! :)

pebble.jpgroxt.jpg

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Those are seriously my favorite cutest pigs ever! I love the brown agouti look and I love gray and white look (and is that one crested?). Can't stand it!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.