Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

New pig with dry skin on her ear?

Tabby.ludeman

Cavy Gazer
I recently lost my 11 year old piggie and it was very sad because I'd had her for a very long time and I adopted her. I had another guinea pig to keep my old one company and she got very lonely when the old one dies. My friends recently brought me a new piggie called popcorn she's 12 weeks old and I'm very attached because she's extremely cute. Unfortuantley she seems to have a patch on her neck/right shoulder and it seems a bit scabby, I don't want to make a fuss out of nothing and go see a vet unless it's vital. When my friends gave her to me she had a scab under her nose so I think she may have been in some fights at the pet store , could this just be a scar, could it be mites, should I get my other piggy treated aswell? please help I'm new on the site and I don't really know what to do.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Boar appears to have dry skin on his ear?

Can you post a picture for us?

It could be a fungus, it could be cheilitis, it could be from a bite, or something else. None of those is very serious, but do need to be treated. But they probably don't need a vet, at least at this point. But if we can see what it looks like, we'll have a better chance of recommending the right stuff for it.

And no, you don't need to treat the other pig, at least until we know what it is, and maybe not even then.

Tabby.ludeman

Cavy Gazer
Re: Boar appears to have dry skin on his ear?

Of course image.jpg image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd start with cold pressed virgin coconut oil, available from a grocery or a pharmacy. Don't get the regular stuff, as the heat used in production destroys the beneficial elements of the cold oil.

Rub it well twice a day for a week or so, and see if it improves. If it doesn't, or if it gets worse in the meantime, go to any pharmacy and get some Monistat or Lotrimin or Nystatin cream, and rub it in well, same schedule as the oil.

Use q-tips in both cases, as if it is a fungus, it can be contagious.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.