Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Common Cold Teary/Crusty Eyes

ChicksDigEm

Cavy Slave
I have been sick for a few weeks on and off with the common cold.
I think I have accidentally gotten the guinea pig sick.
For a few days to a week or so, she has had teary/crusty eyes everyday, a few times a day.
I do remove the crust, but it still comes back.
The nose is fine, no discharge, no problems breathing, no sneezing, no cloudiness in eyes or cataracts, no injuries to the eyes or items stuck in them.
No loss in weight or loss of appetite, still a happy piggy for the most part, and energetic, no loss in water intake, no mouth sores, etc.
Cage is clean, so its not dust allergies, and its never happened before.
I was pretty sick for like 3-4 weeks so Im sure she has caught it but the only symptom is the watery/crusty eyes clear discharge/not milky.
I dont believe its an upper respiratory infection as there have been no other signs, but it has only been a few days to a week so perhaps it is the beginning stages of a uri?

If there were more symptoms, I would take her to a vet, but it sounds like the vet may not be able to do anything and it will just have to run its course.
What type of antibiotics would you recommend?, or is there another treatment?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't recommend antibiotics, and you can't get them unless a vet prescribes them anyway. They're sometimes necessary for guinea pig, but they can also have very serious consequences, and should never be given "just in case" the pig has an infection.

Is the crusty stuff around the eyes whitish when it dries? If so, that's just the normal eye fluid, and she may have blocked tear ducts. You can try very very very
gently massaging under the eye with a damp cloth, a couple of times a day, and see if that helps.

It's doubtful that the pig has caught your cold, but you should be careful not to cough or sneeze on the pigs, and should wash your hands carefully before preparing their food or handling them. Paper masks from a hardware store are very cheap.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.