Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

First Time Guinea Pig Owner!

Coven

Cavy Slave
Well, being in an apartment, my pet option are highly limited. But for so long I missed having a pet in the house, something to pet and love, ya know? So for Christmas I begged my boyfriend to let me get a hamster, I kept getting "No way" until today he surprised me and brought me to the pet store to get the gift I've been longing for, a hamster!
But... well..

I would love to introduce you all to Heidi!
10169172_10153381461818869_8979366213876664793_n.jpg12391165_10153381461848869_3407623765582768324_n.jpg

While looking at the hamsters I looked over a seen out of seven or so Guinea Pigs she was the only one not sold. So of course, with the intentions of getting a hamster, I came home with her instead. My heart could take her being the only one not sold, she's cute as a button.

Unlike the classic I want a puppy for Christmas then a month later don't want to take care of it because I didn't think it involved a lot of work.
I've had several pets, dogs, cats, fish, hamsters, and rabbits. So I'm well aware of the work involved just don't want anyone thinking "Ugh a pet for Christmas, how terribly cliche. Month later it'll be given away."

No, 90% of my pets were in our family till they passed away.

But, I will admit this is my FIRST Guinea Pig! I'm rather excited. I bought her basics today, fair sized rabbit cage, Guinea Pig food high in Vitamin C, Timothy Hay, Shavings, Water Bottle. But now I'm looking for tips and tricks and things to look for. After work, I'm going out tomorrow to get Carrots for their Vitamin C.

I've read up a bit since I got her, she's finally letting me pet her without running, I brought her mineral block and some hay and she squeaked and made strange noised.

So I have a few questions! Of course!
- Are baby carrots ok? Or full sized.
- Is a mineral block ok?
- Treats, what do I give them?
- Toys?
- Place to hide?
- How long with it take her to warm up to me?
- Will she ever stop being so skittish when I approach her?
- Sounds to watch for? Good VS Bad?

Anyway, I think that's all any tips or trick will be appreciated! Mind you I do live in an apartment so I cannot build her a castle. Lol.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
1. Full sized is better
2. No mineral blocks or salt
3. Veggies
4. They don't really play with much you could get by with just cardboard
5. It depends each guinea pig is different
6. Guinea pigs are prey animals they are also herd animals so you need to get her a friend
7. Guinea pigs make all sorts of sounds you would need to be more descriptive

Also if she is under 6 months old she should be getting unlimited alfalfa pellets and unlimited hay when she gets to 6 months switch to timothy pellets and limit her to 1/8 of a cup per day per pig and unlimited timothy hay or orchard grass hay which ever you prefer.

Also what kind of pellets are you using? The best is KMS Hayloft, Oxbow and Small Pet Select.

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
hi welcome to the forum your guinea pigs is adorable, I can't answer all your questions but here's some answers:
•Treats can be things like fruit (but should not be given often)
•Toys can be anything that your sure is safe (like toilet rolls (the cardboard bit), chews and there's a variety of toys in pet shops and eBay etc)
•There are lots of fleece things you can buy online for your guinea pig to hide in. Or maybe pigloo.
•It depends on the pig, some pigs warm up to you faster than others
•She will eventually stop being skittish, just spend tine with her
•Here's a website to help identify sounds: https://www.happycavy.com/how-to-identify-and-understand-guinea-pig-sounds/

here are some tips:
•she really needs to friend because they are herd animals (preferably another female, but a neutered male is alright)
•pet shop cages are usually not big enough (you should look into c&c cages) it doesn't have to be massive just a decent size, there's the appropriate cage sizes on the forum website
•good foods include lettuce (not iceberg) and capsicum
•she shouldn't be in boiling heat (put something like a frozen water bottle in to cool her down) or freezing cold
•make sure she has unlimited hay
•bathe her as little as possible (only bathe her when she's REALLY dirty or stinky)
•her cage should be spot cleaned daily and a full clean out once a week
•don't give her A LOT of food at once because she's not going to eat it all
•don't try go and grab her at the start because she'll only get more cautious and scared
•if anything seems out of the ordinary make sure you take her to the vet because guinea pigs are known for hiding symptoms
•this is obvious but don't be rough with her

**Make sure she is a female because pet shops don't have the best reputation in sexing their guinea pigs right

just a quick question:
•how big is the cage and what is the bedding you use?

guinea pigs are great pets and I hope you enjoy the experience

Last edited:

Coven

Cavy Slave
Okay, I'll grab the veggies tomorrow!
I get Oxbow food.

Okay, like my old Hedgehog, toilet rolls work, lol.
I have a bag of dried fruits as occasional treats.
I don't usually bathe my rodent pets, usually clean the cage often to ensure I don't have to wash them. Unless highly needed.
Nope, I have a small bowl of food but her corner is FULL of hay.
I'm just occasionally going over and petting her not picking her up. She doesn't move when I do that.
It's not overly warm in her room, and she's not located near a heater.

Yep! I checked her, she has the Y in her lower regions.

The cage is 4.5ft by 2ft. And so far aspen chip bedding. But I'll probably get her some fabric tomorrow to make a bed out of.

Also, do I need to designate a "bathroom corner" I know I had to move my rabbits poo pellets into a corner so he'd use that corner. Is it the same thing with a Guinea Pig?

Is there anything I cannot give them veggie or fruit wise or nuts? Good to know in advanced.

She seems to be adjusting, she ate some hay but did not drink any water yet.

Coven

Cavy Slave
She's doing a lot of "Chutting" and a lot of "Wheeking" when I brought her more hay. So I'm guessing those are good.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig pee and poop everywhere you can place a hay rack above an area where you would like them to go since they do most when they eat and drink you don't want to give them anything the has nuts, seeds, dairy (lactose intolerant) take it from me who is myself when a package doesn't say it has lactose it sucks, eggs, grains.

Coven

Cavy Slave
That is a SUPER CUTE feeding idea!!!! How did you do it!? If it's your picture XD

The_Cavy_Crew

Cavy Slave
1. Baby carrots are fine. Mine LOVE them so much :)
2. No mineral or salt blocks.
3. Veggies are very good, healthy treats. If you do want to give them pet store bought treats, get oxbow treats (avoid the apple and banana)
4. Not all Guinea pigs like all toys. Mine like running through tunnels.
5. Piggies are prey animals, they need some sort of hide house.
6. It depends, just spend lots of time with her and she will warm up to you faster.
7. Guinea pigs are prey, so they have a natural instinct to run from you. Imagine being picked up by someone 20 times your size.
8. I don't know many sounds, but I know they wheek when they are happy.

I HIGHLY recommend getting another little piggie of the same gender! They get so lonely without a friend.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.