Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aspen...Uggh

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I have tried aspen, but about every 4 days my cage stinks. I have a 3x4 with 3 pigs. I used pine and that lasted a while, yet Mu is allergic to it. I have tried fleece and carpet but didn't work for me. What else is there? Is there anything left other than carefresh?

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
There is a new bedding that look like carefresh but it is made by Katyee.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you can use Carefresh, but the objection is the price, WalMart has their own brand of a similar bedding as well. You could also try vetbed. There are a couple of other threads that have links to places you can order it from.

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
I don't know if you have a place around you called The Kennel Shop, but they have there own type of carefresh for $12.79. It is a bigger bag to!

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
Aspen can be a pain. I found it to be the only thing that works for me and it is relatively cheap (though not as cheap as pine). I too find that I have to scoop out all of the shavings every three days. I also bought a whisp air freshener for my room and put it high up on a shelf, which helps. It isn't that the cage is dirty, it's just that, as absorbant as aspen is.. it also absorbs smells. Good luck with finding what works for you.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
The one like carfresh at walmart is called Critter Care. THe other one like carefresh is Total Comfort (they sell it at petsmart)It is new.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
The Walmart kind of Carefresh is called Critter Care. You get it in 10L bags and if you get 5 (would be 50L) it would be $20. 50L of Carefresh is $19 where I live.

Do you have to wash Vetbed (never really seen it)?

Danielle7577

Cavy Slave
I put wood pellets underneath my shavings and it seems to help with absorption and control of the odor. But I use kiln dried pine shavings so I am not sure how well it will work with Aspen.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
I loved yesterdays news, though its a little hard on the piggers and heavy as all sin when you go to clean the cage. However its great on odor and you can easliy go a week before cleaning the cage. A 4x3 cage would take one bag and would cost around 12 bucks.

pennick

Cavy Slave
kimberly78 said:
I loved yesterdays news, though its a little hard on the piggers and heavy as all sin when you go to clean the cage. However its great on odor and you can easliy go a week before cleaning the cage. A 4x3 cage would take one bag and would cost around 12 bucks.

Before purchasing carefresh I noticed a bag of yesterday news which my vet suggested I purchase. When I pressed down on the bag to feel what was inside it was as hard as a rock. I proceeded to question the sales lady on this product and she said it was similiar to the guinea pigs pellets. Upon that I immediately purchased the carefresh.

Does it feel and resemble the pellets? And if so, doesn't it hurt the piggies feet?

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
its a compressed newspaper pulp in the form of a pellet. As it gets wet it turns to a dusty material. My pigs never minded it. If you wanted to and I have in the past is put fleece where they sleep so thats nice and soft and then use the yesterdays news in the other part of the cage. I will tell you if you buy yesterdays news the pet stores are selling it in a different bag in the small animal section which is 10 bucks more expensive. If you get it in the cat litter dept (green bag) its 12 bucks.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Most of the time when I use pelleted beddings I put a layer of carefresh or aspen over top of it so it isn't so hard. Aspen pellets are cheaper than yesterday's news and so far seem much more absorbent. It's also about 10times more absorbent than aspen shavings and there is no smell. There is a wood smell to it but it's not like pine. Even pelleted pine has such a strong smell and bothers allergies. It's also not as dusty as pine pellets. Even when it breaks down it seem as dusty so far. The pine pellets made this very fine sawdust that got everywhere.

ilovemykisses

Cavy Slave
I use aspen and it hides the odors well. I heard that Yesterday's News works well and all but it just seems too hard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.