Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives My under $10 cage

Titus2Woman

Cavy Slave
Ok, so if you did not have as many of the parts on hand as I did it would cost more, but I bet I got your attention!

Many years ago we had several female guinea pigs and I built them a deluxe MASSIVE c&c cage. I sewed a bunch of fleece and the result was a guinea pig palace that my husband said the homeless people around would love to have. So, this year when my son and I got some boars my husband was not keen on me resurrecting the monstrosity that we had prior. While the boars were babies the store bought cage that we had as a temporary solution was not perfect but not terrible and did not require babyproofing. But as the boys grew, I knew they needed more -- especially since the one ran laps around the cage trying to get exercise when he was not out. Now, the catch was to find a compromise that would not make my husband cringe.

He also did not want me spending much money right now. So, I started to look around the house to find a solution that would work and cost very little. I already owned cubes from before but the coroplast was gone and that was the sticking point. I read about people successfully using shower curtains. My issue was that I did not want to put it on the floor. So I was left with the challenge of finding a supportive bottom to get it off the floor and use a shower curtain. I walked my house several times in search of the solution. Then, I saw it. My boys' train table! My son and I painted over the train motif.

Next task, the old fleece and uhaul blankets were gone. Uhaul blankets were not part of my husband's expenditures right now. So, we went to a local uhaul and explained what we were doing and how it just did not make sense to buy brand new ones for guinea pigs to pee on. I was hoping to find torn or stained ones that we could use. The really nice man said he had just thrown the ones they had out last week. I asked him if he knew any other stores that might still have some (fully expecting him to say no). He picked up the phone and started calling the local stores for me. He found one 7 miles away that said they had one or two they could give me. We hopped into the car and drove there asap. When I got there, not sure what to expect, we were handed a bag with 5 blankets in it that I am not sure what is wrong with them. I see no stains or tears. I found one was a bit stretched in a spot but that was it.

After putting the blankets in the car we headed to Joann Fabrics hoping to find a great sale. Again we were blessed. Fleece was 60% off. There were remnants large enough for us. Those were an additional 50% off. And then I could apply my educator discount. We walked out with enough fleece for two bottoms, and a couple pieces to make toys/accessories (like their fleece forest) for less than $6. We picked up a shower curtain for $2 and then a dustpan and hand broom for my son to use for $1.50.

So, using a little ingenuity/re-purposing and a lot of prayer we were able to give our boys a much needed Christmas present that is a compromise that my husband can deal with. Now, we have to work on toys and fun things that we used to have but the boys are in love with it for now! (Don't worry they can't reach the Christmas tree it is just the angle of the shot!)

IMG_6885.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
Impressive! Great job and lucky pigs!

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Nice! I love the storage area!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I love your cage great job! Do you have one or two pigs in there? I think that's too small for two pigs, especially if they're males.

Titus2Woman

Cavy Slave
I love your cage great job! Do you have one or two pigs in there? I think that's too small for two pigs, especially if they're males.

Yes, there are two pigs in there (one is in the fleece forest). I am carefully watching to see if it is big enough for them. So far they are fine since they were in the small cage for so long. If this proves to be too small I can upgrade them but I am working in baby steps right now. The one pig never moves. I mean like never. If he sees us he hides. When we take him out he sits there and plays dead so he eats and then walks to his corner (or tunnel or whatever he can find) and hides. So it is almost like it is one pig in there. I am curious what the living situation was for the other pig before we got him. We have had him for at least 6 months and it is always the same for him. I am just glad he has a loving home so that even if he wants to sit there stock still at least there is nothing making things worse for him.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Great ingenuity! My piggies love empty toilet paper rolls for chew toys - free toys!

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Wow impressive! Great job! I also have two boars, my guinea pig had two babies a week ago, both males. I'm struggling to figure out how to stack two c&c cages. I also went to Joanns and bought fleece 60%OFF!!! Score!

everythingcavy

Cavy Gazer
Love your ideas. I have one question! Can guineas climb out of these cages? I just brought home our two males that are 10 weeks old and they already are standing on their hind legs and trying to get out! I'm scared they will climb out, but we want it open and accessible to be able to get them out easily.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@everythingcavy they won't climb out. Normally they dont climb at all, especially up walls. I have some carboard boxes in my cage to use as hideys and one of mine loves to jump and sit on top of them and both of mine also stand up on the bars of the cage but they never climb. They are just curious or are looking for food. They know the cage is their safe place and they would rather hide than try to climb out.
Is your cage on the ground or on a table? If they were to somehow climb out the floor is less of a fall for them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Occasionally someone will have a pig who climbs out of the cage. Most often, it's because there's a sow in heat in the same room, but there's an occasional Houdini around. If they look like they're going to climb out, it's most often at the corners, and you can just zip-tie a grid on top at each corner.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.