Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello!

kemmm

Cavy Slave
My name is Kayla and I'm a new guinea pig mom.
My two babies are an Abyssinian named Harvey and an American named Jarvis.
They were about 4-6 weeks old when I got them at the end of August, putting their birthday in July (if I'm not mistaken). Which makes them about 4 months old now. They are currently battling over who will take the spot of top pig.

My boyfriend really wanted a guinea pig as he had had one (just one) before. I was reluctant at first as I did not believe he really comprehended how much responsibility a small animal is. He assured me he did and we went to Petsmart (ugh, I know) to get Harvey. Once we actually brought Harvey home and got him all set up, I did nothing but research the next week (and honestly I'm still researching) and discovered they are herd animals and thrive better with a friend. After some reluctance (this time on my boyfriend's part) we went and got Jarvis.

I feel like one of those parents whose children begs for a puppy, and I agree to get them the puppy as long as they know it is their responsibility and they agree to take care of the puppy. They do well for about a week or two (or even a month), and then I end up taking care of the puppy all by myself.

However, I do not at all regret the decision, even if I am the one doing ALL the work now, as I already love them and could not imagine giving them up or being without them.

I wish I had a good picture to post of them, but they don't ever seem to stop moving. So anything I do have is very blurred.

I have read through a lot of posts on this forum, and have already received help on a behavior question. I am really excited to be a part of this community as everyone really seems to care about their furry babies.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Welcome, [MENTION=36636]kemmm[/MENTION]. Males need space so the first thing I'd do is make sure you have them housed in a large enough cage. This is a wonderful site to get all the info you need to care for your little ones.

kemmm

Cavy Slave
Thank you pinky!
I currently have them in an area that is 5 ft by 6 ft temporarily while my 2x6 C&C cage (with loft) is being delivered. We did have them in the largest store bought cage Petsmart offered, which of course I found out was not big enough after I did my research. I'm already contemplating buying another 2x6 to attach for more room. I honestly just want to have a guinea pig mansion. I'm one of those people that really loves to spoil what I love.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.