PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss hair loss now left with a small scab?

daydreamer89
11-19-15, 10:47 am
so I noticed over the past week Lilly had this funny spot on the tip of her nose with oddly long hair.
today we picked her up for lap time and I was planning on taking a picture of it (it seemed weird) and the little puff of hair was gone and she now has a little scab there.

im not sure if this is a medical thing but i check her over every one or 2 days. and she has no other hair loss anywhere. it could have possibly been from her chewing on the roof of her willow hide, maybe she just got a scrape from it.

heres a picture its the best i could get as she still isnt used to laptime but you can see the scab. (it looks just like a scab we would get from a scrape or cut)
but i wanted to see what you guys thought in case it looked like something else. i would like to get medication on it asap if its a skin condition that needs it

Nannub
11-19-15, 11:10 am
Nothing to say that can help but I have the same piggybed

daydreamer89
11-19-15, 04:08 pm
its a nice bed huh lilly seems to enjoy it.

hopefully someone will have a idea about this ill be keeping a eye on it to see if it gets bigger i hope its just from her chewing on the roof of her willow hide

Comely Guineas
11-19-15, 08:21 pm
This is just a wild guess but maybe it is a fungus or mites or mange or something like that? Does it look like any of these pics http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html
When I first got one of my pigs he had mites and lost most of his fur on his back and had dandruff/scabby bits all over it. Does it hurt her when you touch it? Maybe a more zoomed up photo would help others distinguish it. Hope you get more answers soon

Soecara
11-19-15, 08:28 pm
I would just watch it for now as it could be just a scab from a physical injury, if the hair loss starts to spread then start treating for a fungal infection. Mites are not likely as the hair loss patch is not in an area that she could chew and she would have other symptoms such as excessive scratching if mites were the cause.

daydreamer89
11-19-15, 09:20 pm
This is just a wild guess but maybe it is a fungus or mites or mange or something like that? Does it look like any of these pics http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html
When I first got one of my pigs he had mites and lost most of his fur on his back and had dandruff/scabby bits all over it. Does it hurt her when you touch it? Maybe a more zoomed up photo would help others distinguish it. Hope you get more answers soon

no it doesnt look like any of those I will try to get a better picture tomorrow with the ipad i had to take it with my laptop today, she does scratch but not more then what i would assume is normal nothing that worries me. im seeing no dandruff or scabby areas anywhere else but that one spot and it looks like just one solid scab with no redness or anything around it. not painful when i touch it.
im be checking tomorrow hopefully with some help from hubby so i can get a good close up of it. the main reason im concerned about it is because of the weird puff of hair she had on that spot... it seemed out of place, a lot longer then any of the other hair in that area only way i can describe it was that it looked like the puff of bunny rabbits tail but it wasnt loose fur or anything i had touched it the day before to make sure it wasnt hair that was falling out.

what should i buy if its a fungal infection? and where would i go to buy it? if its bigger in the morning ill be running out 1st thing to grab it

Soecara
11-19-15, 09:26 pm
If it is a fungal infection then get an anti-fungal cream that has an active ingredient that is either Clotrimazole or Miconazole from a normal pharmacy. Apply it sparingly and rub it in well with a q-tip, you don't want her to be able to wipe any off an ingest it.

daydreamer89
11-19-15, 09:29 pm
its on her nose wont she get some on her paws then into her mouth when shes bathing herself? (even if its rubbed in really really well) would it be best to do it during laptime to that she doesnt bath herself for a while after its applied? (im sorry i just want to be sure i dont poison her if this is needed)

Soecara
11-19-15, 10:35 pm
If you only apply a small amount and rub it in well there shouldn't be much left for her to rub off, the little amount that would be left shouldn't be enough to be harmful if she did manage to ingest it. You can do it during lap time, and distract her with some veggies for a little while to let her skin absorb the cream if you want.

daydreamer89
11-20-15, 09:58 am
I just checked her when i gave her, her morning veggies and there is no change it might be a bit smaller but ill know for sure later today when she has lap time. feel a lot better now about it just being a scrape though. kind of sad she lost her little nose puff though.
I will take a closer picture today though in case im missing a sign of it being fungal or something.

she does scratch but i dont know how much is normal, and how much scratching would be abnormal. its not constant, but she does go at it for about 2mins a few times a day, i thought it was just her grooming because she normally wipes her face during/in the middle of scratching

Piggly12
11-20-15, 09:39 pm
Yes I think the grooming is fairly normal; mine do it too (they seem to do it all at one time; they scratch their sides, then sit on their hind legs and clean their faces by running their from paws down their faces towards their nose).

The thing to keep an eye out for though is any hair loss. Mine seemed to be scratching more than usual, and under their front legs (where you could call their armpits) they were losing hair (you could see their skin). We took them to the vet and got some mite treatment in tiny bottles, and their hair gradually grew back and they were fine. We treated all of them i think it was 3 times, with 2 week gaps between each squirt (this was a while ago and I don’t remember the specifics).

daydreamer89
11-21-15, 09:16 am
scab is healing up fine! seems like it was just a scrape! thought i would update this just to let you guys know. thank you for your help :)