Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Not eating or drinking, lethargic

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. Just about 4 days ago, one of our three pigs passed away suddenly in her sleep with no signs of sickness previous to that. She (Truffle) was 3 years old, Mocha is 3.5, and Cookie is 4. Ever since then, Mocha has stopped eating and drinking, and doesn't move around much. She just tends to stay in a corner, all balled up. She gets excited about food—she wheeks and comes to the side of the cage when I'm preparing it, and will sniff her food, but then she walks away and doesn't eat any of it. This goes for hay, pellets, veggies, and water. Even if I try to hand it to her, she won't take it. She's lost about 1.5 lbs.

I took her to the vet yesterday, and the vet said her lungs and gut sound alright (though her gut was a little quiet since she's not eating). She gave her a Baytril injection just in case, as well as a painkiller injection and something to stimulate her gut. But nothing has changed.

I'm giving her Critical Care and water, which I have to basically force into her with a syringe, and she fights it like mad... I'm worried that's not enough because she does spit out a lot of it, and her behavior isn't changing. :\ I'm going to bring her to the vet tomorrow (they're closed on Sundays) for some blood work and xrays but I'm so worried.

Last edited:

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Truffle. And about Mocha's concerning behavior. Sorry I don't have any more advice, just wanted to say hang in there and keep doing all you're doing for Mocha!

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Mocha was having some trouble breathing earlier so I took her to the emergency vet. She's been hospitalized so they can have her in an oxygen thing and so she can be force-fed and hydrated. I'm praying she makes it out of this; when Chai was hospitalized, she unfortunately didn't make it home.

I called to check in on her earlier and they said she's stable for now, at least.

If you guys could keep her in your prayers/thoughts, I'd very much appreciate it.

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, Mocha didn't make it. She was doing better in the hospital, then all of a sudden she stopped breathing apparently.

I'm utterly devastated. I feel broken and hollow.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I'm So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine my life without my babies. So sad.

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the condolences.

Poor Cookie is all by herself now. She seems alright, but we really need to find her a friend or two now. That's going to be difficult so the poor sweetheart is going to have to settle for lots of cuddles for a while.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear you lost 2 piggies so close together, that's devastating! You did everything you could by taking Mocha to the vet right away. In PA there are multiple rescues and shelters with guinea pigs, and recently there were over 60 guinea pigs rescued from a hoarding situation in Lancaster Co. that need homes.

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Do you have any that you could recommend? I'm in Philadelphia.

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much, I'll take a look at them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.