Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C My cage journey (NEW CAGE!)

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
First, I want to thank everyone for their help and advise on the Bed, Bath, & Beyond grids. I was able to find some grids locally at Kmart (I made sure that they were safe). I have finally finished the new cage for my piggies and they absolutely LOVE it!

First cage (I actually had 2, but can't find a picture of the second one). Please excuse my dog. He wanted to say hi to the piggies.
SAM_0981.jpg
Here is my old cage setup.
SAM_1036.jpg

Here is my new cage setup. The first 2 are with the lid closed and the last is with it open. Their kitchen is the base of one of their first cages.
SAM_1052.jpg

Attachments

SAM_1053.jpg SAM_1054.jpg

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
I have since added all of their cozy items into the cage, so there are more places for them to hide.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Wow, that’s huge! What is it, a 2.5 x 4.5?!

Cages like yours give a great comparison as to just how small pet shop cages really are!

How many lucky pigs are in it?

One suggestion: Maybe try putting the houses in the middle of the cage, so the pigs can make use of their huge space by running laps around the whole outside?

Also, how did you get the centre of the cage supported by the stand? From what I can see, there are no grids under the middle. Did you just use lots of zip ties?

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
That looks fabulous!

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Wow, that is huge! Looks awesome, your pigs will love all that room. Great job!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Wow! What lucky little pigs you have!! The one thing I'd add is a couple of parallel I-beams along the width under the top grids that would keep the top from falling in if your dog jumped up on it.

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
Wow, that’s huge! What is it, a 2.5 x 4.5?!
Cages like yours give a great comparison as to just how small pet shop cages really are!
How many lucky pigs are in it?
One suggestion: Maybe try putting the houses in the middle of the cage, so the pigs can make use of their huge space by running laps around the whole outside?
Also, how did you get the center of the cage supported by the stand? From what I can see, there are no grids under the middle. Did you just use lots of zip ties?

It is a 2.5x4.5! It does give a great comparison. I actually have the larger of the 2 petstore cages stored under it in case I need to use it to transport them to the vet. I believe that the outside measurements of that cage (blue bottomed one) are about a 1x2.
There are currently 3 lucky piggies in this cage. I think that one of them might be pregnant, so I might have to expand it in the future. My piggies don't really seem to like their houses in the middle as they always move them back to the outside whenever I put them there.
I have the cage supported in the middle with 4 grids in a "C" shape, as well as a ton of zip ties.

I changed out the purple kitchen for a large coroplast kitchen that's a 2.5x1 last night. I also cut 2 entrances into the coroplast so that no piggies can get trapped in it.

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
Wow! What lucky little pigs you have!! The one thing I'd add is a couple of parallel I-beams along the width under the top grids that would keep the top from falling in if your dog jumped up on it.

My dogs are actually really good about leaving my piggies alone. They are content to just sit at the side of the cage and look in, but they won't jump on it. They haven't even put their paws on the side. My cats are the ones that I would be worried about jumping on it, but we made sure that the center is strong enough to hold them if that happens. Thankfully, they have stayed off of it so far. I think they are afraid of getting their paws caught.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Great job! But I agree with Pinky. You could get pvc pipe and paint it black. Hey, I know that song! I have 3 cats and one weighs over 13lbs and all but one loves to walk/sleep on the top and in the cage.

saqqara37

Cavy Slave
I like the way you have overlapped the grids in order to have a lid that closes on the top grids on the side, small loss of space but great idea.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
That cage is awesome!

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
I might eventually get something to support the lid a little more, but right now we have it secured really well. Two of my three kitties are around 15lbs (they are actually on a diet as they are a little pudgy) and I noticed one of them cross the top of the cage because her normal path to her litter box was blocked. The lid sagged a little, but it more than held her. A friend of mine also tripped over my dog and accidentally landed on most of the cage. He's 250+ pounds and it held him, so I'm not too worried right now. It scared the hell out of us and my piggies, but they were unharmed and are doing fine now.

I do appreciate everyone's concern and want to say thank you to everyone that has commented. My piggies absolutely LOVE their cage which makes me really happy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.