PDA

View Full Version : Frankie and BJ and I are new here....

Malynda Teeter
10-28-15, 03:44 pm
Hello From Frankie and BJ and I. We are new around here. I have just now figured out how to post a message. Please pardon me if I ramble.lol BJ and Frankie have grown enough that I know who is who...So Frank is now Frankie, a female. BJ is no longer pregnant, he is hungry and a little grumpy.
I am shocked Frankie has not gotten pregnant. A little over a month ago, I separated them because BJ was being mean to Frankie. Blocking her from food, nose to nose, hers was always lower, even after I tried 2 water bottles and food bowls. During daily time in the Pig Pen, they are never unsupervised. Frankie is always chasing BJ in the pen. She gooses him and and waits for him to turn and takes off. One of their favorite treats in the pen are the ice cubes I give them. I hide some and leave some in the open. BJ will pick one up and carry it around. I also give them small bits of apple or grape, hidden. After an hour or so in the pen, they crash out in their beds. Glad to be here!! I tried to post more, but it wouldn't let me!!

bpatters
10-28-15, 03:51 pm
You need to separate them, immediately. Pregnancy is very hard on guinea pig sows, and the death rate is high for both sows and pups. Guinea pigs are also susceptible to a number of genetic diseases, some of which result in lifelong pain, and others in blindness, deafness, missing/wonky teeth, and immature digestive systems. There are thousands of unwanted guinea pigs in rescues and shelters around the country, and there's no need to deliberately breed more. If she is older than eight months, she's too old to breed anyway.

If you are breeding your pigs, you are welcome to post questions here about their care, but you may not post pictures, nor may you discuss breeding in any way. This is a strongly anti-breeding, pro-adoption, pro-rescue forum.

Malynda Teeter
10-28-15, 04:07 pm
I got them both from a friend of mine. She thought I had 2 boys. When BJ began being mean to Frank, I separated them. I think I have literally spent hours on this site. I wanted 2 boys or girls to prevent having babies, but to have them for companions for one another. The only time they are together is during Pig Pen time, and they are never left alone, I am always watching. They have separate cages. I have grids and coloplast for their new homes. I have been reading about how to handle the separating grid between the 2 of them. This forum has been very helpful. I believe in anti-breeding, pro adoption and pro rescue. It's why I picked this site. My friend lost all her piggies but one in a catastrophic breeding situation that she never intended to have happen. Thank you for responding to my post!

bpatters
10-28-15, 04:18 pm
Good. I'm glad to know you're not breeding.

But you should know that it only takes seconds for a male to impregnate a female. You could sneeze and miss it while they're together for floor time.

You might want to consider having BJ neutered and then letting them live together again. Or you might put plexiglass on the wall between them so they won't break their teeth trying to get to each other.

Malynda Teeter
10-28-15, 04:24 pm
I live in rural Iowa, so i will have to check around for a vet willing to do the surgery. i would rather do that so they can be companions for each other.

Malynda Teeter
10-28-15, 04:40 pm
I live in rural Iowa, so i will have to check around for a vet willing to do the surgery. i would rather do that so they can be companions for each other.