Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea I need Help!!

gaineymckenzie

Cavy Slave
About a week ago I rescued my third piggy from the animal shelter, and ever since then she has been having some medical problems. I have been using the same things they had her in while she was at the shelter so I didn't know if that could be it. But she is not really eating well or drinking water. She doesn't seem very happy. And she hardly comes out of her little hiding spot. And as of yesterday she is now having diarrhea! But when she is not having diarrhea she is not doing anything at all. Her cage is still spotless. I have no idea what to do. And I do not want to lose her! Please help!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Try and make sure she's well hydrated and still eating lots of hay, and make an appointment with a guinea pig-savvy exotics vet asap. Diarrhea can be very serious in guinea pigs.

Depending on what is causing it, taking her off veggies for a little while may help. It's likely what your vet will recommend, so it's worth trying to see if it'll help in the meantime.

What sort of diarrhea is it, just soft poops? Is it stuck in the anus? Is it dark-colored, runny, and awful-smelling? Does she seem to be in pain while defecating?

Do you know if she was on any medications at the animal shelter at any point, and could you ask them if she has a history of this? If not that's okay. Your first step should still be going to the vet.

gaineymckenzie

Cavy Slave
See she is on medication now because she has an ear infection. So someone said that could be causing it. But it's soft poops and some stick to the Anus and it does smell really awful

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
If it's an oral antibiotic, that could definitely be the cause. Guinea pigs have bad reactions to a lot of antibiotics. Do you know the name of the medication?

gaineymckenzie

Cavy Slave
It's ear drops but it is Tresaderm with Ivomec added

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I don't think either of those would cause it, but i have encountered another pig who seemed to have a bad digestive reaction to ivermectin (which is what ivermec is i believe?) so it could be worth looking into to see if you could get just tresaderm, unless she's also being treated for lice or mites, which is what ivermectin's supposed to be for.

gaineymckenzie

Cavy Slave
Yeah that's why the doctor mixed them together just in case she did have mites

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
How long has she been on it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Diarrhea in a pig is almost always sufficient reason to stop giving any antibiotics. It's a very serious illness, and the pig needs vet care quickly.

Is this an exotic vet she saw? Dog and cat vets are not qualified to treat guinea pigs, and can cause actual damage or death. If it wasn't an exotic vet, get her to one ASAP. If it was, go back, ASAP, and tell them what's going on.

gaineymckenzie

Cavy Slave
She's been on it about a week. And it wasn't an exotic vet it was just a regular vet

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then see an exotic vet. ASAP. Regular vets are a waste of time and money with a guinea pig.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I'd stop the medication. It should be safe but if she's having a bad reaction to it, diarrhea is way more serious a condition than an ear infection in most cases, and as I said before, make sure to contact an exotics vet.

gaineymckenzie

Cavy Slave
Well goodness I'm not exactly sure where an exotic vet is where I live

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
You can call various veterinary practices in the area and ask if they have or know of any exotics vets with guinea pig experience, they're less rare than you'd expect. Good luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where are you? City/state, not your actual address. We may be able to help you find a vet.

gaineymckenzie

Cavy Slave
Kannapolis, NC

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.