Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Nose with pus and dried spots, what is it? Help!

HannaD

Cavy Slave
Hi! So my boyfriend and I bought our two new pigs a couple of weeks ago, Edward is about 1 year old, and his son Norton is 3 months old. They both have pus on their noses, not alot but it´s there.. and the little one also has dried spots on it, as if its a small wound that healed. Does anyone know what it can be? If you lift Newton's lip a little you can see he also has a little pus on his upper teeth.. Since he is mostly white you can also see yellow marks on his fur, but i think that might just be carrotstains.

These two guys are my first pigs so im very new to this, and dont really know if i should take them to the vet to check them out or not? I have tried to gently clean with a wet cloth, but they dont really enjoy me touching their nose, so I can´t get it all off. I thought I might check here first, and if I dont find any answers here during the weekend, I´ll call the vet first thing on Monday.

Some info about them if that is needed: They dont seem affected or anything, they act perfectly normal and eats and drinks well.
They live in a large cage with fleecebedding on one part and a smaller seperate part as a kitchen with hay, food, water and sawdust-bedding. They eat hay, bellpeppers, cabbage, cucumber, romaine lettuce, carrots, broccoli, apple.. At the former owner they were fed mostly hay and cabbage, and pellets. But since the oldest one has very much white stains in his urine I took the pellets away for now, in case it has to much calcium or what ever its called.

20151017_173252.jpg20151017_173323.jpg

Hope you guys can help us out, I dont want the little ones to be sick or anything :(
Thanks!

Last edited:

HannaD

Cavy Slave
((Gosh, what a derpy moment, his name is Norton, not Newton dont know what happened there.. ))

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Are you sure it's pus and not mucus? I've never heard of a pig having pus in his nose, but it doesn't sound good. Nasal discharge, though, can be a sign of a lot of illnesses, with that plus the calcium I'd definitely take him to a good exotics vet who has guinea pig experience.

Also, pigs with calcium problems shouldn't have too much romaine, cabbage, or broccoli, as they're all relatively high in calcium. Red or green leaf lettuce is a good alternative (not iceberg).

Good luck! :)

HannaD

Cavy Slave
Are you sure it's pus and not mucus? I've never heard of a pig having pus in his nose, but it doesn't sound good. Nasal discharge, though, can be a sign of a lot of illnesses, with that plus the calcium I'd definitely take him to a good exotics vet who has guinea pig experience.

Also, pigs with calcium problems shouldn't have too much romaine, cabbage, or broccoli, as they're all relatively high in calcium. Red or green leaf lettuce is a good alternative (not iceberg).

Good luck! :)

Yes you are probably right! I just googled "Nasal discharge guinea pig" and found this thread who seems to be exacly the problem my pigs have. On the picture it looks quite similar, only that its not as much mucus on my pigs. Aparantly it's something called fungal nose strip, and could be cured quite easily.Thank god! Im going to give the vet a call on monday anyway, just in case.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-nose-and-white-eye-questions-(with-pictures)

I hope we can fix the calcium part with better food for them, their urine has already started to clear up since they got here. I think the former owner gave them to much pellets, and only cabbage as veggies. I would'nt want them to get bladder stones! Thanks so much for the imput on the veggies!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you sure it's not boar glue? If it's hard to get off, it may well be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.