Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Ringworm question

MooshiiMama

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I have a peculiar question in regards to ringworm and guinea pigs and I was hoping that perhaps more knowledgeable individuals could help me out.

Is it possible (or do you think it might be possible) for a guinea pig to carry the ringworm fungus and spread it to others (particularly her main slave :( ) but not suffer from it themselves?

The reason I ask is that since I got my guinea pig in July I've been having a re-occurring issue with ringworm (twice in the same place, but worse the second time and now a third time in a new location). I do work with animals so it is entirely possible I got it else where and am just having a wretched time with getting rid of it. My guinea pig shows absolutely NO signs of ringworm or any other illness.

Personally, I doubt it's possible but I was just curious as to other people's thoughts.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe, but I think what's happening is that you're not getting it cleared up, so it recurs. You need to continue to treat any fungus for several days after it looks like it's healed.

lennier1

Cavy Slave
I had two guinea pigs with ringworm, and had trouble getting rid of it. Eventually, the vet gave them an oral medication, and since she was concerned the cage might be getting contaminated, she gave me a pretty strict cleaning protocol. I had to throw out anything wooden in the cage, and use a plastic pigloo. I lined the cage with newspapers instead of the regular paper bedding. Then every day, I'd throw out the newspapers and clean the cage and everything in it with a bleach solution, then put in new newspaper. It was some work doing it for a couple of weeks, but they haven't had ringworm since!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.