PDA

View Full Version : Moderators Please read.

Beowulf1976
10-26-05, 03:18 pm
Although I appreciate your rulings...

I still think it is EXCEPTIONALLY harsh, everything that you are telling people to do, even insisting that they have a dictionary to hand.

It is unfair, and unjust to those with problems such as dyslexia etc etc.

I clicked on the link to the rules, as you asked, and was actually horrified to find SO many rules to abide by, it's a forum, not a blinking Hitler camp!

I joined the forum to discuss my love for cavies, with other cavies. NOT to be told how to use punctuation, and grammar and feel like I'm in Hitler's rule, never mind school.

I'd appreciate it if you could inform me as soon as possible, on HOW to remove myself from this group.

It is NOT a nice place to be, when one has to be on top form with grammar, spelling and talking English. All I wanted to do was discuss my "hobby" and my slavedom with other members! I think it really is disgraceful, yes, it is ok to tell people not to use slang, but to tell them to put a dictionary by their pc, is just insulting!

So, either private message me, or reply on here (most probably with yet more of your naggings etc!) and I will remove myself forthwith.

Thank you.

GOOD BYE!

Piglet
10-26-05, 04:04 pm
The mods can't remove you from this site - they can ban you or you can just ignore this account and never come on again.

Piglet
10-26-05, 04:11 pm
Yes, this forum likes to have proper spelling and grammar but what's wrong with that? If you cannot spell, then yes! You should have a dictionary by your side - how else will you improve? Take a looksie at other forums, where text talk, bad spelling and grammar are present. We'll see how long it takes for you to read the posts! :)

Sure...you really appreciate the rulings. You compared this forum to Hitlers camp for poops sake.

VoodooJoint
10-26-05, 04:50 pm
Beowulf - We do not remove you. If you don't like it simply unsubscribe from any threads you subscribed to and don't come back.

This is a privately run forum. The administrator has set up certain rules that we moderators have promised to uphold. They aren't hard rules. All we ask is that you do your best to capitalize, punctuate and refrain from using chat speak.

JennG
10-26-05, 04:54 pm
It's not that difficult to follow these simple rules. It makes things easier to read if you use proper English, spelling and punctuation. I think the mods and T are lenient on those that have problems with this such as Dyslexia and if you're from another country. If you don't like it, just leave. So long!

happimommaof2
10-26-05, 04:55 pm
I agree with the rules it is nice to be able to read posts with out taking forever, and as for spelling I dont think they are as strict on that as they are the capatilization and punctation. It is a great forum its kind of silly that you dont want to be a part of something like this because you have to use proper grammar, I absolutley benefit from this forum and beleive me my piggies do to. I thought about leaving once but then I saw the error of my ways I love it here. In all seriousness though I read your post and you seem to type really good, I dont see why you are making such a big deal about it. But that is my opinion, and your decision. :melodrama

Take Care
Amanda

JennG
10-26-05, 05:03 pm
happimommaof2-I'm glad you decided to stay. This is a great forum and like an extended part of my family.

happimommaof2
10-26-05, 05:15 pm
I know I got a little dramatic when I first started here. But than some people on here made some good points, and I realized what I was complaining about was so small it was ridiculous (sp?) on my part and I learned that this is not a bad place. So thank you I am also glad I decided to stay.
Take Care
Amanda

zakfoxmom
10-26-05, 05:27 pm
I think the most important reason for proper spelling and punctuation is the fact that there are people on this forum from many different countries. If we are spelling things wrong and not using proper punctuation, it can be difficult for those from other countries to understand us.

Plus, I my opinion, anyone who is old enough to be on the internet and in a chat room should be old enough to spell and punctuate properly. If I had trouble, I would certainly have a dictionary handy. For those with dyslexia, its ok and understandable.

ilovpiggiesthei
10-26-05, 05:31 pm
dyslexia is a very confusing thing!
And someone shouting at you for it is upsetting and embarasing too!
xx

VoodooJoint
10-26-05, 06:04 pm
I have dyslexia, so does my husband. It does not cause you to forget to Capitalize or forget punctuation. It's just a convenient excuse some people use.

I know a 10 year old autistic boy who's capitalization skills and punctuation are better then what I have seen some people on this site use. If he can do it others can too.

ilovpiggiesthei
10-26-05, 06:09 pm
I know i will make a HUGE effort i promise and if i need a dictionary i will go and fetch one :D!

zakfoxmom
10-26-05, 07:25 pm
...Plus, I my opinion...

There is the occasional flub that is no big deal :-)

VoodooJoint
10-26-05, 07:50 pm
Nope, sorry Zakfox. You're banned. No flubs allowed.

LuvMyPiggers
10-26-05, 08:05 pm
:D

This line added because apparently laughing with a smiley at voodoos joke wasn't enough! :)

happimommaof2
10-26-05, 08:15 pm
In my opinion the only reason why she started this thread is because she wanted to get everyone riled up! She wanted arguments and attention. The only thing is she did get what she wanted and she did not, we are giving attention but yet no one is riled, heck I deal with this every day I have a 6 year old and 4 year old and they see how far they can go just for the attention. No big deal. I know I gave her attention to but it was hard not to respond. Take care All
Amanda

JennG
10-26-05, 08:27 pm
Happimommaof2-I have a 2yr old, 7yr old & 10yr old. If we can handle them, we can handle anything. :) Oh VJ, you're quite funny. :0) I'm glad your back. I really missed seeing your posts. ;) Ooops! I did three smilies, please don't ban me. teehee!! Sorry my oneriest is coming out.

Ly&Pigs
10-26-05, 09:12 pm
Beowulf is probably mad at me because I asked him/her to read the posting rules because they are new member. I do that with all the newbies. I give more warnings for failure to use capitalization and punctuation than for any other reason. My biggest pet peeves on this forum are failure to capitalize the first letter of your sentences, not capitalizing an "I" and using ... or smilies to end a sentence instead of a simple period/full stop (.) and chat speak. I detest chat speak. I don't expect perfect spelling but if a member spells the majority of their words incorrectly they are encouraged to get a dictionary or use spell checking software before posting. I don't expect perfect grammar either. I do expect that members take the time to not be so lazy when posting. We do make exceptions for disabled members.

The reasons for the rules are simple. People come here from all over the world and post. If their native language isn't english and if they can't read the posts easily, they can't get help for their pigs.

I will say if you don't like our rules, find another forum.

JennG
10-26-05, 09:16 pm
Good Lord, Ly! Aren't we being picky? ;) Just kidding. It's really not that hard to post with good punctuation, decent spelling and proper form; especially when it comes to ending a sentence with a period & capitalizing the letter i when using it as a pronoun. I don't see the big deal but I guess some people are bored.:melodrama

Ly&Pigs
10-26-05, 09:40 pm
Do you want me to bonk you in the head again PHB?

futureguineamom
10-26-05, 11:23 pm
My biggest pet peeves on this forum are failure to capitalize the first letter of your sentences, not capitalizing an "I" and using ... or smilies to end a sentence instead of a simple period/full stop (.) and chat speak.

:sorry: Guilty as charged (more so with the "..." and smilies at the end of a sentence. Whoops!

The reasons for the rules are simple. People come here from all over the world and post. If their native language isn't english and if they can't read the posts easily, they can't get help for their pigs.

I agree completely. Especially if somebody needs to use a translator. How is a word going to translate if it is spelled incorrectly? It isn't. I think there are also some programs out there for blind people that read off what a person types. I'm not too sure though. I know of a few disabled people who can't type, so they speak into a microphone and the computer types for them. I assume there is a similar thing for people who can't see. Good spelling and grammar are important. We all slip up every now and then (I'm sure I already have in this post), but it's the constant errors that are tiresome. Anyway, just my two cents (I get to say that a lot lately don't I?).

CavySpirit
10-26-05, 11:27 pm
I find this remark and feel like I'm in Hitler's rule, never mind school extraordinarily foul and insulting. Don't come back.

futureguineamom
10-26-05, 11:50 pm
I didn't find it very appropriate either, but I wasn't going to say anything.

The Magic Taco
10-27-05, 12:40 am
Why do I suddenly feel this feeling of Plonkerism?

Ly&Pigs
10-27-05, 07:22 am
Guilty as charged (more so with the "..." and smilies at the end of a sentence. Whoops!
I mean when members use smilies to end a sentence in place of proper punctuation, not when they put them at the end of a sentence. Here is an example of both.

Hi, how are you :) (no punctuation at end of sentence, smilie is used to end sentence, unacceptable)
Hi, how are you? :) (punctuation used then a smilie, acceptable)

daftscotslass
10-27-05, 08:04 am
This annoys me. Why bother bringing dyslexia into it? I know many people who are dyslexic. Most find it easier using a computer to type. It is often the physical process of converting what is in your head to handwriting on paper. I completely agree with VJ on what she said.

Though I'm sure you're not welcome now, I would love for you (OP) to come back and justify your not-so-choice use of language. I sincerely hope you never say something like that to someone who cares in a real-life situation and have it thrown back in your face. Completely and utterly inappropriate.

If you don't like the rules, make up your own forum.

ilovpiggiesthei
10-27-05, 10:13 am
i have dyslexia and find it sometimes ahrd to spell read ect on a pc.

Sabriel
10-27-05, 10:14 am
I had a wonderful art teacher who was dyslexic and left handed. She was my teacher for 4 years! Do you think she got her double major (The arts and modern languages I think) and became head of two departments at one point making excuses all of her life? Heck no.

Other then the occasional backwards slide and her backwards check marks (but that's a lefty thing. I know many lefties do that) you wouldn't even know. The only reason we all knew is that she appologized for putting all the slides in backwards and then told us her problem.

happimommaof2
10-27-05, 10:18 am
I know I am not the only one who has noticed that the woman who started this thread has not responded at all. Does this seem like a waste of time I mean obviously she wanted a rise out of us. Maybe we should just leave it at that and not be concerend with it anymore. Thats my "2 cents".
Thanks Take Care,
Amanda

CavySpirit
10-27-05, 11:25 am
Yes, thanks. Enough said on this thread. It's closed.