Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

sick baby pig

• Thread starter peachesandcream
  • Start date

peachesandcream

Cavy Gazer
hello, i need some help my sow had two babies about a week ago and one of them seems to be sick. when she tries to poop it comes out in a clear bubble like thing and I'm not sure what is wrong with her. she is also having a loss of apatite and she has goopy eyes.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She needs a vet, ASAP. Find a good exotic vet near you and get her in as soon as you can. Pups don't have much reserve, and if she's not eating and is having trouble pooping, there's not really anything we can do for her over the internet.

peachesandcream

Cavy Gazer
ok also can i feed her goats milk?

peachesandcream

Cavy Gazer
i had my neighbor that is a vet check her out and she said that it sounds like a upper respiratory issue and that for babies there is nothing she could do for it . but i am not sure what is going on with the pooping

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Her mom's milk is much better. Can you take her and the sow out of the cage and put them in a small area, like a laundry basket, where the sow can't get away from her.

But she still needs a vet. The goopy eyes are probably an indication of an infection, and that can overwhelm her very quickly.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt seriously that your neighbor is an exotic vet. Most vets get little education and training in the care of exotic pets. If you want to give this pig a chance at life, find an exotic vet for her as quickly as you can.

peachesandcream

Cavy Gazer
i just put the baby and sow in a basket and she is nursing hopefully peach will get some of her strength back from nursing. thank you for your advice
[h=2]bpatters[/h]

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do that several times a day -- at least every couple of hours, even through the night. At least that will give the baby some nourishment.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
+1 on the exotic vet, when I was a kid our hamster got a wood chip in his eye, our cat and dog vet just used tweezers to take it out and sent us home since she didn't know what kind of medicine to prescribe and assumed he would be fine, he died the next day from an eye infection. Small animals are very very different from cats and dogs, where if a cat or dog eats a cup of something bad for them they get a tummy ache but if a guinea pig has even a stamp sized leaf of something bad they could die.

Elleybell

Cavy Gazer
I hope she gets better.:sad:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.