PDA

View Full Version : New here, still have not adopted.

mci1986
10-01-15, 01:39 pm
Hiya, my name is Mike and I an currently in the process of adopting a pair of guinea pigs.

A little about myself - I am an accountant and I used to have cats growing up but I had to leave my cat behind with my mother due to my allergies when I moved out (we had discussed this and she wanted to keep him rather than giving him up to a shelter). It has been a few years since I have had a pet - I had decided it was time to find a new one. After handling and being around guinea pigs at the local shelter I found out that I do not have an allergic reaction. If I had a cage set up at home I would have adopted the two guinea pigs from the shelter right there, but by the time I was able to find the materials for a C&C cage they had already been adopted out.

I'll be honest, had I not done any research on Guinea Pigs and their care I would have just bought two from a pet store and have called it a day. Instead I am currently working the the local rescue, the [DC] Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue, on getting approved to adopt my first guinea pigs.

I'm sure that I will have a few questions and hopefully I'll have plenty of cute photos to share in the near future!

bpatters
10-01-15, 02:09 pm
Welcome to the forum! Good luck on finding some guinea pigs, and thank you for adopting rather than buying.

ThePigAlchemist
10-01-15, 04:41 pm
Welcome! Looks like you live in the same area as me. I hear great things about MGPR, although I haven't adopted from them. I look at the pigs on their site all the time, though.

jaycriae
10-01-15, 07:43 pm
Good luck and congratulations! Have you made sure you're not allergic to the hay? (No fear if you are, there are hypoallergenic grasses out there that work fine, you'd just need to buy them online.)

mci1986
10-02-15, 05:15 am
I am pretty sure after handling a bit of the hay. Even if I am I have much better insurance now so I can deal with the allergies.

mci1986
10-03-15, 08:00 am
Welcome! Looks like you live in the same area as me. I hear great things about MGPR, although I haven't adopted from them. I look at the pigs on their site all the time, though.

I just wish that they were a bit faster. It has been just about three weeks since I've applied and I still haven't heard back on whether or not I've been approved. Once that happens I'll have to wait another month to actually adopt apparently.

CavyChrissy
10-03-15, 11:58 am
Welcome Mike! Hope you find a great pair to adopt!

bpatters
10-03-15, 12:02 pm
Here's someone in Philly with pigs. Maybe you could meet halfway.

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72321

ThePigAlchemist
10-03-15, 12:28 pm
There's also Small Angels Rescue which is centered in Frederick and might have foster homes nearby. They seem to have pigs a lot, if you wanted to give them a try.

SavvyCavies
10-03-15, 06:52 pm
Hey Mike! Welcome!

mci1986
10-08-15, 09:20 am
Good news! I was just approved to adopt two boars from the shelter near my office! One is three years old and the other 6 months old and both seem to have very laid back personalities.

Hopefully the introductions will go well since they have been in adjacent cages for 2 months at the shelter for a month and a half. If not I can split the cage into two 2x3's easily.

bpatters
10-08-15, 09:32 am
Be sure to read this before you try introductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html. And do it when you've got plenty of time. Introductions should never be rushed.

ThePigAlchemist
10-08-15, 09:36 am
Awesome, congrats!

mci1986
10-08-15, 09:41 am
bpatters I've read that numerous times and already have an area in my bathroom prepared (including my motorcycle gloves in case they need to be separated and no, I'm not bringing them home on my bike) with things ready to go for a buddy bath if needed.

mci1986
10-08-15, 06:35 pm
Well, introductions are just about done and I think it went well. Malachite (3 years old) mounted Hematite (6 mo. old) a few times, and after that they couldn't decide on whether to try to sniff each other's butts or popcorn. Towards the end they would make one revolution and immediately popcorn away from each other.