Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Question

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I know I post a lot but I'm really new at this. So, I got my new piggie and she is definately under 6 months (about half the size of Malaika, who is full-grown).

I was wondering, in about three weeks when I am able to put them together.. if Alfalfa hay is bad for older piggies, but a must for younger piggies.. how do I give our new baby Alfalfa without giving it to Malaika? Also, is Timothy hay okay for younger pigs, or just Alfalfa? :confused:

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
You can mix it 50-50 or you can put the alfalfa in a box and make an opening that is only big enough for the smaller pig. Or you could just feed timothy. I have to admit, i never gave Atticus alfalfa hay and I've had him since he was seven weeks old, I've seen no adverse effects from it and he's a year old now.

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks. I like the idea of using a box with a small hole. Good thinking! :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Actually if you feed a 50% alfalfa based/50% timothy based pellets mixed together you can skip the alfalfa hay altogether. The young one will get what alfalfa she needs from the pellets. You can just feed unlimited grass hay to both.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.