Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My heart is broken!!!!

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
I can't believe that this is really Real. I was supposed to go to Chicago, due to my babies I couldn't fly, I found someone to drive us. His dog killed my babies!!!! I was screaming at the top of my lungs! I have never felt more pain in my heart!!! I have been blaming myself, I know that it was not my fault! I almost feel like it was done on purpose. I have been crying almost non stop. I can't get the images out of my head! Keep thinking about what they felt!!! I have my puppy, it's not the same! And the guy told me he would get me new ones, I was like "they are irreplaceable! I don't want new ones! I want mine!!!!" It hurts me so bad! I am struggling with being without my Minnie! Piper was a baby, so sweet! I blame myself!!! I hate myself for what happened!

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
OMG! I am so sorry!!!! Don't blame yourself there was honestly nothing you could do. Please don't hate yourself [emoji22] Yes your guinea pigs were ADORABLE but they are now happy and in peace. I hope you get through this difficult time but remember we are all here for you [emoji108]

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
Thank you 😊 I was so devastated! I was numb after the first couple hours. I had sat with their bleeding bodies to me just screaming! The guy had the nerve to tell me to stop screaming! I was like "are you kidding me"!? I told him to keep that murderer away from me! So my trip was delayed. Ever since I keep hearing them, my dog has been looking for them. She noticed that we are short of things, that I am not at the cage talking to Minnie. I had just had her a year!!! I will never have another guinea pig again. I never knew how much it would hurt losing one! And my grandma made it worse calling them rats! Rats don't love!!!! They don't communicate with you! I'm so heartbroken

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
I am really sorry to read this. Unfortunately, prey animals such as cats and dogs should never be left alone with animals like guinea pigs, no matter how much it seems they're ''getting along''. Give yourself time to heal. This is a terrible tragedy. There are a lot of guinea pigs that still need rescuing and help. Maybe one day you can open up your heart again - just give it time.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry. I just got a new guinea pig three weeks ago, and I had just very recently posted about him (and his picture) but he passed away last week. It was very unexpected, sudden, and my world absolutely shattered. He signified a new chapter in my life, and I had envisioned many years with him. He didn't get a chance to get his own song, like my other pigs have had, or even his own hideys yet. I didn't get enough pictures of him. I just didn't have enough time. I can't eat or sleep. I hold onto his blankets and just cry. Why did this have to happen? Am I being punished? I can't believe this has happened. I wish I could rewind time. I felt similar, but much worse, when I lost my first pig a few years ago that I had much longer than two weeks. When I talk about it, I feel like it sounds ridiculous, or like others would think it sounds ridiculous (I know some would,) but when I lost my first pig, I went into a year long depression.

He was what got me going every day, my life revolved around his cage and his happiness. I didn't have much else outside of him. He was my world for so long. I dotted on him, and spent all of my spending money on him. Even after I got other pigs, none of them had been as special to me as him. When he was gone, I felt absolutely nothing but grief. I turned to food and gained a lot of weight. I lost any friends I had. It was incredibly rough. I don't know how many people on this forum have gone through similar as me, but from what you wrote, I sympathize completely. I blame myself a lot when I lose a pet; it can really destroy me. Try to understand that any guilt you feel is how your brain decides to cope, but the guilt ("it's my fault, if I just hadn't..." it's not a fact or an explanation of what happened.

Allow yourself to cope in a way that feels natural as long as you're not hurting yourself. Don't listen to people that tell you to cope a certain/different way, or tell you to get over it, or people that act like it wasn't a big deal. It is a big deal, you lost your babies, and in a really awful, horrible way. You deserve to grief, to cry, to whine, to mope. Listen to your brain and your body, let yourself feel what you need to, but be careful when you try to convince yourself it's your fault. Telling yourself that won't bring them back, it won't change the past. Your babies would not want you to blame yourself. They loved you so much and I know they were so thankful for all that you did for them.

Anything you want to say, anything that's hurting you, talk to your dog about. This is the only solid advice that I have, but you have all my sympathy. I feel for you, and again, I am so sorry this has happened.

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I know that it was not my fault, that guy is a irresponsible dog owner! I have NEVER left them unsupervised! What is hard is that my doctor had given me a letter stating they are therapy pets. They were what kept me alive! I had tried to kill myself numerous times, until I got Minnie. I know that everything happens for a reason but why them!!! They had YEARS left! I got them both as babies! Piper was only 4 months old! I even taught her chin up like I had Minnie! She learned to wheek like Minnie did every time they heard plastic. I miss them so much! I have been so angry that I had to get away from the guy and his dog! I wanted to kill him! I have never been irresponsible with any pet I've owned! So why should someone else be able to!!! I miss my best friends!!! And they were! I try talking to my puppy, but all she does is eat me alive! She wants to play 24/7! Definitely not the sweet baby a guinea pig is. Anyone who knows me knows how much I freaked out. Accept my insensitive grandma! Which angers me more!!!

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss. But for the record - rats are just as loving as any guinea pig. It's rather rude to say that "rats" don't love. Any animal can love, and rats are not lesser than guinea pigs. They're both beautiful, wonderful pets.

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
Sorry if you take offense to that. My point is that they are my babies! And I am upset about how insensitive my own grandma was about my loss!

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I have always loved animals! I used to take the dead mice out the trash and tell them they would be ok. My aunt would have a fit!!! But all my life I have loved animals! This was the first time ever having guinea pigs. And I have some comfort in knowing and raising my Minnie. She didn't like anyone but me! And she was a biter! But she was my angel! She saved my life in many ways. She was there with me through my abusive relationship. She was the one who woke me up when he turned the heat off as punishment in the freezing winter. I feel so lost without her. Piper was my calm, purring girl! She was so friendly! She didn't care how mean Minnie was to her, she was just the sweetest little girl! I am so lost without them! I have my puppy, but she is so hyper! I think about all the times I had with them and I keep asking god why!? When I need them so much! Just to make it through the day! A doctor wrote the letter stating they were therapeutic to my treatment! Now I am alone! And I have nobody who understands. The pain in my heart is so bad! I lost myself that day! I keep hearing them and I have to tell myself that their gone. And I wake up looking for them! I even call out for Minnie! I never thought I would love them this much, that it would hurt this bad! It makes me not want to ever love anything again! I have lost so much in my life, they were the ones who filled that void! And I just am having the worst time without them! My Minnie would listen to music on my headphones with me. I feel like I failed my children! I always told them "mommy loves you more than anything in the world, I will never let anyone hurt you"! And I failed to do that!!!!!😭 my dog is the only thing saving my life right now. She knows nobody but me! I've had her since she was 12 days old! Took her at 3 weeks, had to teach her how to clean herself, potty training, kennel training. And she has no one else who will love her as much as I do! It broke my heart to lose them. I just wonder how long will it hurt!?! It is tearing me up inside! Raising Minnie from 3 weeks old to a year! Piper from 4 weeks old to 4 months old. The fact that Minnie was trained! I could leave her in one spot, go away for a hour or more and come back and she was right where I left her! They watched TV for crying out loud! They could be quiet as could be! I snuck them in hotels! Nobody knew because they were so good and quiet!!! My life is so empty without them.

Attachments

FB_20150902_22_36_02_Saved_Picture.jpg WP_20150810_004.jpg WP_20150721_011.jpg WP_20150715_019.jpg WP_20150715_17_32_23_Selfie.jpg

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
I wish I had got more pictures of piper.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to have a temperamental little turd of a pig who only loves you, and for her to be your whole world and reason for living. I can't imagine what it would be like for my worst nightmare to come true, I can only offer my condolences. Maybe you can try and get a small rabbit eventually, or work with guinea pigs who aren't yours at a rescue or something, so you don't have to give up that kind of relationship entirely.

I wish you the best, and I'm sure Minnie and Piper are happy wherever they are now and grateful they got to spend time with you.

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I miss them. Each day gets a little easier. I still hear them though. When I move plastic bags I hear Minnie. I hope that it gets easier. I have been focusing more on my puppy. I feel guilty because before they left me I didn't get to spend as much time as I used to, my puppy is so time consuming. But I used to love how when I would yell at Sheba Minnie would come out her house and look out at me like "what did she do now mom"? Lol! I miss how well behaved they were. I could leave the door open 24-7 and they would be doing their own thing. Minnie was trained to climb in and out of her baby cage. My ex would say "why are you doing that"? I said "I want her to know that she can come out and see me anytime she wants! That she has freedom!" And I never left her accept to go to the store. We were always together! I think that is what is the hardest part, losing the person (and she was a person) who was always with me. We would watch tv together, she would even turn herself to see it. Once I built her a hammock. She loved it! It had the very top, a middle and she could go under. My ex was like "she just took off and jumped in it and laid her head down! She looks like a little kid!" My ex was a jerk but we both loved her like no tomorrow! And even though we're not together, I called and told him. He was devastated! When I got Minnie we went together and I took one look and had to have her! She was so tiny (3 weeks old). When I got piper I had went alone. When he saw her he was in love! She was so sweet and sweet! He was like "you have Minnie, piper is my baby!" I still remember when he was holding Minnie and I told her "give daddy kisses". She didn't want to but she did. He said "make her do it again". She was going to climb down and I said "give daddy kisses and I will get you some grass". She paused and went back up and did it! He was like "Minnie listens to every command you give her! WOW! A guinea pig! Who would have thought!" I miss my baby girl so much! My puppy struggles with listening to me! All my life I have had a way with animals. And right now I feel like I lost my best friend! Piper was my sweet addition to my family. I didn't have enough time with her! I feel so guilty right now. Alone. And it's worse that I don't have anyone to talk to! I'm completely alone! No friends, no family. I find myself struggling to get up, to take a shower! To get through the day!!!! I have a picture of when we first got Minnie. She fit in the palm of my hand! I don't know what to do without her!

Attachments

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_1966848_762618197133887_8828937.jpg C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_10606080_764615370267503_899058.jpg

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
It's almost been 2 weeks since my babies were killed. It's gotten easier to be without them. I still miss them and think of them often. I have come to accept it and the hurt is not as bad. I know that everything happens for a reason. I have my sheebs now. I focus on her. I have been thinking about in the future getting more guinea pigs. I'm gonna wait until I am ready! I saw one at PETsMART and I was like "awwww"! I will just make sure that I'm ready for them when I do get more. I will have everything all set up before hand and I will search for babies to raise just like I did mine. But I am ok now. It doesn't hurt looking at their pictures anymore. And I don't think about the images anymore. I think having my Sheebs around has really helped me with this. And she seems to understand when I say that I miss them. I have made it to Chicago (2 short 😐) but I am happy to say that my Sheebs has been making friends with other dogs, learning to go outside, learning to sit still outside, she has been a blessing! I had to get her a couple sweaters when we got here. But other than that everything is ok.

allieh26

Cavy Slave
I understand what it's look to loose one so suddenly. I lost my Flash a few weeks ago, he had been sick, I took him to the vet and they gave him medicine, he wasn't getting better so I wanted to take him again and he passed away before the vet opened. It was so hard and I miss him so much but I decided to adopt two from a rescue to keep my Jasmine company and i'm glad I adopted them. I am so sorry you lost them due to someone else's mistake. :( It hurts my heart.

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
Yeah me too! And I own a pit bull! But I also know that you NEVER leave pit bulls unsupervised! You have to be responsible! And I would hold my guinea pigs next to her! But she was told NOT to smack them! Not to play with them! Minnie actually bit my dog! But I was responsible! I view my animals as my children! And you don't let your kids be unsupervised so why would you let your animals?! My dog would sit down and look at my babies. She would smell them (my hands were right there in case she nibbled like puppies do!) but I am a firm believer that you should not give any animal opportunity to do harm to someone else's pet! If you KNOW that you have an aggressive dog you don't take it to the dog park! I think that he will have whatever punishment that God feels necessary! I am glad that I was able to know Minnie and piper! To love them! And I know that I will have a chance to love more! To spoil them! To have new personalities! Just when the time is right

siriushb9cavy

Cavy Slave
I am SO sorry for your loss I have 4 piggies and I love them with all my heart and I can't imagine what my life would be like without them.:(

allieh26

Cavy Slave
We have dogs as well and they have never shown aggression towards the piggies but we would never leave them unsupervised. One of our dogs just thinks the guinea pigs are weird little dogs and he just doesn't know how to play with them.

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
Yeah. I was happy with my 2. My Minnie was alone for so long that she had a hard time accepting piper. I was so afraid cause she was so mean to her! And piper was such a angel that she didn't care. I have to give myself time though. I never knew that guinea pigs could be so loving! The best animals I have ever had. My Minnie was my first ever. And she was so smart and funny! No one can replace her! She would listen to my headphones with me. One day....one day

minniesmom

Cavy Slave
Yeah. I am upset about the dog who did it. I'm glad to never see it again!

allieh26

Cavy Slave
I'm a pretty new owner too, my one that got sick and passed was the sweetest little guy. He loved attention and he never slept in a hidey he was always out and about. My jasmine is sweet too, the 2 new girls I got are warming up to me I know it just takes time. I'm still so sorry for your loss :( I can't even imagine what you are going through.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.