Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin Fleas. Need advice

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
So I found a flea on me this morning. I had gone to the Laundromat first thing this morning to wash the piggy bedding. A few washers down from me was a lady who had body odor and did not look like she takes care of herself. Soon after she arrived I started itching under my bra in the back. When I got home I still felt new itchy spots and I suspected a flea. I was able to observe the flea, but was unable to catch it. I assume it came from the Laundromat lady because if I had fleas in my house (all indoor animals) I would have known right away. Fleas LOVE my blood. I immediately went to the store to get frontline for the cats (5 of them) and applied it to their necks. I have a total of 11 pigs in my house (6 mine and 5 fosters) Should I treat them too? I am probably over reacting but a flea infestation would be the worst thing possible in my house. I have zero experience with this. I have all hardwood floors. Where would they hide out if I don't have carpets? I hope that little SOB enjoyed his feast of my blood. He sure got me good.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it were me, I'd wait about treating the pigs. They're not likely to get infested from just one flea, although I suppose it's possible. But treating pigs for things they don't have can often backfire since they're so sensitive to medications.

If you do decide to treat them, you'll probably need to see a vet for Revolution.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
Okay, that's good to hear, especially considering I just spent $80 on frontline. I just looked it up and fleas jump several inches, but not several feet. My cages are on stands that are 3 feet tall. I doubt the flea (and others to possibly come) will be able to get to the pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.