Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi from bc Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkBirdy2Me

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone.

We just got our boys two little girl guinea pigs. I must say though. I'm liking them a lot myself hahaha. I'm sneaking them out and holding them lots lol. Anyway. I had a guinea pig as a kid but. It's been a long time. So I want to get support and advice so I give them the best life I can.

So. Here they are. Midas and Thor. (I know. Boy names for girl piggies. But my sons named them hahaha)

Thor left and Midas right

Midas

Thor

Their cage. I hope it's ok.

Their playpen.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cute pigs! Welcome to being a cavy slave!

You should turn them both over and compare their private parts to make sure they're both female. If you got them from a pet store, it's very likely that one or both of them is missexed, and you don't want a pregnant guinea pig.

Also, the ramps in that cage are dangerous. Guinea pigs are prone to bumblefoot, and they get it much more easily when they're having to walk on wire. The ramps need to be covered with something.

And while it's not a danger, that's not an ideal guinea pig cage. They need large flat areas for running and exercise, not vertical apartments.

TalkBirdy2Me

Cavy Gazer
Re the ladders. I had intended on it I just had not found the right thing to use lol. They are to small to go up there yet anyway. But I actually have a friend who is sewing me a few sets of fleece liners for the cage and ramps. And I'm going to modify things a bit more once I get my hands on some of that plastic stuff. I want to actually line the shelves and make little ledges around them to prevent them from falling as they are super tiny right now.

They are out in their big pen in the living room for a good majority of the day. And being that the cage they have is two feet deep by three feet long by four feet tall with lots of levels and places to hide. I figured it's a lot better then throwing them in a counter top cage or a bunny hutch. Like most people I know with guinea pigs do. [emoji17] At least that way they have room to move around. And to be honest. The cage is in my sons room and already takes up a good majority of the space.

I got them from a breeder she made sure, and kept the babies separated by gender. and I already double checked the sex that night when I got them home by using a site with pictures. And then reconfirmed a third time by having a friend who has piggies come check. Lol. So yes. I know they are both female. I was unsure weather to get to males or two females. But from what I've read it seems two females are slightly easier to get along. However. This cage is divide able into two cages. Which is not ideal. But. I figured it's better then not having that option and needing it.

I don't buy pets from pet stores. [emoji16]

TalkBirdy2Me

Cavy Gazer
Oh. Anyone have suggestions on toys? It seems awe fully boring in their run. Anything I can make or do for them?

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
My concern with the cage is that there isn't a barrier of any sort on the levels to keep them from falling. Pigs get into arguments, the rumble and they chase each other. They play and they run laps. That cage is an accident waiting to happen. All I can see is how easy it would be for one of them to fall from one of the platforms. If you insist on using that cage at least modify it so one of them doesn't fall. From the picture it looks like there is a huge gap where the second level goes under the ramp. If they get under that ramp it's a long drop to the bottom. It could easily injure your pig or worse.

TalkBirdy2Me

Cavy Gazer
Did you actually read my post?

TalkBirdy2Me

Cavy Gazer
And I'm going to modify things a bit more once I get my hands on some of that plastic stuff. I want to actually line the shelves and make little ledges around them to prevent them from falling as they are super tiny
[emoji16]

TalkBirdy2Me

Cavy Gazer
And there are no HUGE gaps??? Not sure what your talking about. The ramps are right against the sides with NO spaces. I even zip tied them in place to ensure they could not move. And there is no way even as it sits that anyone could fall from the top all the way to the bottom. I have it laid out to prevent that. Guess it's hard to judge by the picture. Guess that's why you should ask questions before you jump to conclusions. But thanks for the concern.

No offence but I'm feeling a bit attacked here.

TalkBirdy2Me

Cavy Gazer
The big pen is portable and can be set up wherever however. Right now it's set up around the bottom of their cage so they can go in and out as they wish.

TalkBirdy2Me

Cavy Gazer
As I said. They spend the majority of the day in their run. Right now they are playing in here. Later they will come into the living room. Love the portable pen. It makes it easy to have them close by no matter where I am.

lissie

Cavy Slave
The playpen looks great. I'm glad they are able to run around. Guinea pigs need a big space to run laps. A 2x3 ft cage is pretty small (height doesn't count), unless you allow them to have full access to the playpen 24/7.

I hope you don't see this as an attack. Your cage does have many places that they could fall. Anything that's higher than 6" high is considered dangerous.
I've circled around the area that I think you will need to add rails.

cage.jpg

TalkBirdy2Me

Cavy Gazer
Holy Jesus. Ok well. There is no pleasing everyone. THANK YOU for pointing out the things I ALREDY acknowledged. Such as needing to put up ledges. And ALREADY said I was going to do.

Thank you for pointing out all that stuff I already acknowledged and mentioned.....thank you for pointing that out to me. Because if you had not. I surely would have not done anything to fix the stuff I ALREADY SAID I was fixing before ANYONE EVEN mentioned it.

Thank you for that. So glad I came here to share. Because without this forum I would never have known that I am clearly NOT able to offer an appropriate home to a pair of guinea pigs. I will promptly return them to the breeder. Maybe they will get lucky and find a home with someone who keeps them in a more suitable environment.

Who is the admin on these forums? I want my account deleted please.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I am an admin. We don't delete accounts.

I'm sorry you're upset. I don't see why you have to be. We're all concerned for your pigs. Since the ramp is still there, and we don't know when you'll get "that plastic stuff" that you will get to fix the cage. They could still climb up the ramp and fall off.

TalkBirdy2Me

Cavy Gazer
Wow... Unbelievable.

Thanks to all who took the time to welcome us to the forum.

It's been a great experience.
You can't please everyone. And I have done the best I can. Clearly. That's not enough for everyone. All I wanted to do was share my two little girls with others. Obviously I came to the wrong place. I have seen a lot worse then what I have as a set up. And I don't deserve to be talked down to. I am disappointed that I came here and was treated the way I have been. Obviously. As I have stated several times before I am aware that I need to add coroplast in areas. And fleece. I'm working on it. At least I don't have them stuffed in my shed or in my backyard or in a tiny cage they sell at the pet store. I have provided the best I can. And I am aware of alterations I need to make and rest assured. They will be done.

You may find people are more willing to listen to your advice if you don't treat them like they are stupid.

You knew lissie by "that plastic stuff" I meant coroplast.

You guys are not the guinea pig police. I don't need a diagram. I'm not stupid. I'm here in person. Your judging by a picture. Your not here. I know what needs to be fixed. And quite frankly. I did not ASK for anyone's opinion or advice on my cage. I just tried to introduce my two girls to the forum.

I know there are people with a heck of a lot worse set ups then mine.

At least I care enough to be here. Jesus people. Do u actually think your helping anyone by jumping on them the minute they join? I mean do you actually sit there and dissect every little thing you can until you find something not up to your standards?

TalkBirdy2Me

Cavy Gazer
The saddest part is. You CHASE people away that you could genuinely help by jumping down their throats. I can guarantee you that there are people who are afraid to post and ask for the help or advice they need because of this type of thing.

Not everyone has the ability to have a Giant 7 x3 floor cage. Or devote an entire room to guinea pigs. And that DOESNT mean they aren't a good home for them.
Supporting people does not mean picking them apart. People should feel this is a safe place to come for help.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Calm down. I didn't mean to offend you. You did say there are no huge gaps in the cage. I was just simply pointing them out, just in case you didn't realize those gaps are dangerous for the pigs.

I had to point out a gap in someone's ramp before, and she was happy that I pointed it out, because she didn't realize it being dangerous for her pigs.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Now you know we are all very passionate here about piggies. Don't fret over the suggestions. That's all they are. You are on the right track. I'm going to close this thread so that it doesn't get out of control. I understand that you feel we're being a overly critical, and perhaps we are, but it's all only for your benefit.

Hang in there and keep us posted on your piggy progress! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.