Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New... Kinda..

kennedy98

Cavy Gazer
Hey everyone! My name is Sean, I am 18 years old and I am from MA. I have been a long time viewer of this forum. I have some bad news. My 5 year old Guinea Pig, Edna has passed away. I didn't have her that long. She had a rough life she has been passed from owner to owner. I took her in to give her a better life since she was older. She was a total sweetheart, I feel bad that she couldn't socialize with any other cavys. I was nervous about introducing her to others and have it not go well due to her being isolated all the time. I think I gave her the best I could! RIP. :sad:. However, there is talk about in the future about getting another cavy. I am just wondering, some of her items such as her igloo and hideouts, food bowl, water bottle. Is there any way I can properly clean these item so it can be used for another cavy? I don't want Edna's scent to bother the new cavy(s). I am hoping some of you guys can help me. Also if any of you guys are in MA or around that area could you guys tell me a reputable breeder/rescue organization that I could be in contact with?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.

Regards,
Sean

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you lost Edna, but am glad you're thinking about another pig. However, I'd suggest thinking "pigs" instead of "pig" because they're herd animals and do better with a buddy.

Assuming that Edna didn't die of some infectious disease, you can reuse all of her other things. They'll just need normal cleaning.

Please adopt a pig and don't buy from a breeder or pet store. There are thousands of unwanted pigs that need good homes. One place to look is at www.guineapigzone.com -- there's a database of pigs over there. There are also rescues around you -- see https://www.guinealynx.info/rescues.html.

If you search at www.petfinder.com (choose "small and furry," then "guinea pig"), all the rescues around you should pop up. Contact them even it they don't look particularly close, as rescues are often just a group of loosely organized foster homes, and one of the homes may be nearer to you than the address on Petfinder. Also, contact the close ones even if they don't have just what you're looking for. Many of them will take your information and contact you when they get the kind of pig you want.

kennedy98

Cavy Gazer
Hello! I have searched around for different rescues and I haven't really found ones that have many piggies for sale.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What city are you in/close to?

kennedy98

Cavy Gazer
I am in Worcester, MA. Boston, MA is about a good 45 min to an hour drive away.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you read this in my earlier post?

Contact them (the rescue) even it they don't look particularly close, as rescues are often just a group of loosely organized foster homes, and one of the homes may be nearer to you than the address on Petfinder.

But then, you're talking to a person who has twice made 12 hour round-trip drives to get pigs from a rescue rather than buy them from a pet store or breeder, so 45 minutes doesn't sound like much to me.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
45 minutes to an hour is not far to drive to adopt a pig. The rescue I went through to adopt several of mine was over 2 hours away.

kennedy98

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone, thank you for your comments and opinions. I unfortunately do not have the luxury of owning a car and driving that distance. I would drive that distance in a heartbeat but due to circumstances doing a 2 hour drive or 12 hour round trip is not an option.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Check craigslist under "for sale" and "community" and garage sale listings.

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
you can also try kijiji (just make sure they are not a breeder)

birdietam

Cavy Slave
Hi Sean - Welcome to the forums. I'm really sorry to hear about Edna - may she rest in peace.

In regards to rescues, the one I'm familiar with is Have-A-Heart Guinea Pig Rescue. I'd suggest contacting them to see if there are any piggies in your area that need a home since I don't think their listings are always up to date. I've seen a lot of really kind people on their Facebook who have been willing to drive piggies to locations if needed.

This is their website:
(broken link removed)

And this is their Facebook:
(broken link removed)

I hope this helps!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.