Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Heggies A cage for my hedgehog

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
The breeder I got my hedgehog from told me that I don't need a big cage for him as they don't need much space... well, I've had him in a petstore cage ever since I got him but I don't think he's happy at all. I feel really bad as he has been living in that ever since I got him. All you can fit in there is a food & water bowl and a hidey. I let him out for floortime and let him in the run and he seems really happy then, to be out of his cage... but with the amount of guinea pigs I have it's hard to have him out all the time so I want to make him a big cage.

I'm going to make it using coroplast and spare grids/wire mesh. Any ideas what I can put in there? I want to make in two-levels because I don't have much space for it to be a long cage, so we will have to go higher instead of longer. The only toys he's ever been used to is a hamster ball - but I didn't think that was very fair on him to run around in as you can't tell when they want out. So really he isn't used to any toys:sad: I am thinking of getting him a wheel to put in his cage but will he use it? He's never had one before... he's two years old roughly. What other toys should I try? Will he use a ramp?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I have absolutely no experience with hedgehogs, so this is all guessing. I wouldn't get a wheel for him with all those spikes that could get caught. It might be OK with a solid wheel, but they don't look like much fun for any animals except the really little rodents (mice, hamsters, gerbils). How about trying something simple like a ball or bunched up newspaper. You could get a cat toy ball with a bell in it for him to play with. I think it's just going to take being creative and trying a few things to see what he responds to.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Hi, thanks. I noticed on the Gallery and on websites that they have wheels, not the wire type where they can get their feet & spikes caught but the enclosed ones. I have made his cage now, though it doesn't have an upper level YET. I thought of some ideas and decided I could temporarily take his bowl away and hide his food and put his food in toilet rolls.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Definitely get a solid wheel for the hedgehog. The smallest I would go with is a 2x2 cage.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
He has a 2x2 now with Fleece. He really loves it and has had it for a few months now. This morning I caught him UNDERNEATH the fleece but he rarely does that. He has a cosey bed so I dunno why he does that. He has a wheel now too which he uses.

Lydia

Cavy Slave
May I suggest a few options for toys and wheels, etc?

This website has some great pics of toys/wheels/accessories for hedgehogs: (broken link removed)

A good wheel is the primary necessity for any hedgie to he happy and healthy. They can become obese very easily and exercise is just simply key to their wellbeing. Here's a partial pic of a couple of our wheels (behind a chubby hog... an example of the problem in question! :crazy: )... you can easily find them for sale through the internet and I'd be happy to refer you to reputable sellers or if you're feeling brave, there are DIY sites out there as well!
IMG_1140.jpg

Most hedgies adore playing with toilet paper tubes... they'll stick their noses in and run all around. Another great toy are small cat balls (also enjoyed by many a cavy I see) and sometimes many will even pick up a ball in the other end of a TP tube and run around with it in there... funniest thing ever! They often look stuck but aren't and enjoy this immensely... crazy; I know!

Many hedgieparents say that their little ones love playing with small toy cars; pushing them around. Our boys have zero interest in them so that's not been the most useful for us. Many hedgies love to have mini stuffed animals which they will attack, shake and often drag around with them! Luke (one of ours) often enjoys having a little 'blankie' that he carries around with him as well! Pretty much many toys which are GP friendly are also hedgie friendly.

Also, another suggestion are hedgiebags/hedgebags... they're like a hedgehog version of a sleepingbag. Hedgehogs burrow by nature, so they need dark cozy places to hide and hedgiebags are great b/c they're safe, washable and last for quite awhile... unless you've got a "digger" like our Ace (who likes to dig/scratch in his bag and eventually ruin the fabric).

Here's a pic of one of my original hedgiebags (ie I made it):
IMG_0195.jpg

And here's another partial view of the new style (you can't see it from here but they're 2x larger than the originals) which I buy from a lady in Ontario:
IMG_0646.jpg

Anyways... I just wanted to give some options/ideas for you to explore! Sharing resources is something I've always found helpful, so I'm happy to share what I've learned... pass on the 'good karma' so to speak! :)

SugarSpice

Cavy Slave
Oh my I love hedgehogs . "hubby can I have a hedgehog?" look at that picture of him in the bag . I want one really bad .Since I never told my husband that I was comming home with two new piggers , I have to inform him of any new possible furry friends first , or I may just be in for a divorce . Do hedges do better alone or in same sex pairs ? It seems like all the ones I have seen so far are always alone .

Lydia

Cavy Slave
Sugar & Spice said:
Do hedges do better alone or in same sex pairs ? It seems like all the ones I have seen so far are always alone .

Hedgies are somewhat different from GPs in that they aren't as group-oriented. Female hedgies can often live together quite happily, but due to the difficulties with spay/neuter operations for hedgies (often the risks outweigh the benefits and they're usually only done in emergency situations), males and females should not be housed together, and males get so aggressive with other males that they can seriously injure or kill one another. Therefore, since we have 4 males, we have 4 seperate layers of cages in our C&C "condo complex". It means a lot more one-on-one attention and individual things like "Lukey's hedgiebag" or "Bo's pigloo"... quirky but loveable! :eek:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.