PDA

View Full Version : Skin Problems My guinea pig has scabs all over him under his fur.

lokigirl
08-24-15, 07:49 pm
My guinea pig Darwin has cuts and scabs all over his back and his leg, but are under his fur, so they are hard to see. He is acting normally. My first thought was that it could be mange mites but he hasn't lost his fur and I can't see or get a decent picture of it. I am really concerned and trying to decide if they could be bites from another guinea pig or if this really is a life threatening condition. I love my pigs to death and am really concerned. I could use any advice I get! His scan is dark red where scabbed, and white. It looks like the mange mites, but with the fur on top of it, I am not sure. He hasn't seemed sick or upset and he has been having small normal dominant scuffles with another pig.

Beatrix187
08-24-15, 08:00 pm
Hmm, it sounds like a fight. Have the two pigs been teeth chattering? Could you maybe show some pictures please?

bpatters
08-24-15, 08:11 pm
It sounds like healing bites. You need to watch them carefully, because if they're deep, they can abscess and require lancing and draining. Check them all for signs of redness, swelling, heat, odor, or drainage. If you find any of those, get him to a vet.

How large is your cage? And how many pigs do you have in it?

lokigirl
08-24-15, 08:51 pm
It sounds like healing bites. You need to watch them carefully, because if they're deep, they can abscess and require lancing and draining. Check them all for signs of redness, swelling, heat, odor, or drainage. If you find any of those, get him to a vet.

How large is your cage? And how many pigs do you have in it?
I have a jumbo cage with a large loft and 3 pigs, but the third pig is not in the cage for he is in quarantine for a URI. He has been living with them though before this. Are healing bites from another pig biting, or possibly the pig biting himself?

lokigirl
08-24-15, 08:53 pm
Hmm, it sounds like a fight. Have the two pigs been teeth chattering? Could you maybe show some pictures please?
I have tried to get pictures and been really unsuccessful because he has dark fur and it is all under the fur. Also, the little nugget won't sit still. They have been teeth chattering, but have always done it sporadically for the past year that I have had them. I have never noticed any scabs like this before but that doesn't mean they aren't fighting.

bpatters
08-24-15, 08:57 pm
If they're actual scabs, I'm not sure a picture would tell us much.

Is the pig biting and scratching himself?

Where are these scabs? Are they concentrated in a particular area, like his back or sides, or are they all over his body? Are any of them in a place where he couldn't have bitten himself?

lokigirl
08-25-15, 05:03 am
If they're actual scabs, I'm not sure a picture would tell us much.

Is the pig biting and scratching himself?

Where are these scabs? Are they concentrated in a particular area, like his back or sides, or are they all over his body? Are any of them in a place where he couldn't have bitten himself?
The scabs are on his back, the side of his front leg, and on his neck. He has not been biting or scratching a lot. I am pretty sure that everywhere where I can see the scabs or feel them are places he can get too, albeit many of them seem like they would be uncomfortable to get to

bpatters
08-25-15, 07:56 am
It wouldn't hurt to treat them all for mites. That may not be the problem, but if it is, you'll get a jump on getting rid of them.

This is the easiest ivermectin to use: http://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Pour--Cattle-250-mL/dp/B00JAL3AAW/ref=sr_1_8. If you decide to use it, post back when you get it and we'll help you with dosage.

lokigirl
08-25-15, 05:41 pm
It wouldn't hurt to treat them all for mites. That may not be the problem, but if it is, you'll get a jump on getting rid of them.

This is the easiest ivermectin to use: http://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Pour--Cattle-250-mL/dp/B00JAL3AAW/ref=sr_1_8. If you decide to use it, post back when you get it and we'll help you with dosage.

76175 This is a picture of the scab. They are all over him and some are larger than others. There is one really bad one, but he starts shrieking if I try to part the hair so that I can get a picture and it just hurts to do that to him

bpatters
08-25-15, 05:45 pm
Well, he can't have bitten himself there, so it's either from scratching or from another pig biting him.

If he were mine, I'd treat all my pigs for mites.

Is there any possibility that a rat might have gotten into the cage and bitten him?

lokigirl
08-25-15, 05:55 pm
Well, he can't have bitten himself there, so it's either from scratching or from another pig biting him.

If he were mine, I'd treat all my pigs for mites.

Is there any possibility that a rat might have gotten into the cage and bitten him?

I am certain that a rat has not been anywhere near my house. I haven't ever actually seen one outside of a store. I also have five cats and a dog and they would have brought a rat down and given it as a present if there was one. Do you recommend using the Ivermectin for this? Thank you for all of your help and the more to most likely come! :)

Beatrix187
08-25-15, 05:56 pm
Would coconut oil help soothe the scabs bpatters?

bpatters
08-25-15, 06:01 pm
Probably not. The lesion has already scabbed over. Coconut oil would just soften the scabs, but you want to let them fall off normally except in special cases.