PDA

View Full Version : Injury My bonded male pigs have started fighting (more than usual) and blood was shed!

lokigirl
08-20-15, 12:25 pm
My Guinea pigs (Gideon and Darwin) have been living together for almost a year now. They never fought other than the occasional "I'm the dominant pig and I will show you" fight. Gideon is the dominant pig. I rescued a male guinea pig just four weeks ago. He was going to be killed if not given a home, so of course I took him in. He was quarantined for two weeks before being added to the group. It was a very difficult transition, but the three began to bond. Suddenly, the new pig (Odin), started sneezing and having crust eyes. I immediately took him to the vet and began treating him for his URI. He has been in a different room for four days now. This morning, while I was holding Odin and giving him his medicine and eye drops, I heard a shrieking sound. I ran into my room and saw blood smeared across my dominant pigs fur. The other pig was bleeding from the mouth and was cowering while the other pig attacked him. I grabbed a towel and immediately separated the two. I am extremely worried and quite know what to do now. My injured pig has stopped bleeding and has a cut. The pig that attacked is wheeking. What should I do in this situation? I am really quite at a loss and am very upset about the misbalance that has come into my loving pigs home! I specifically would like to know what I can do to help my pigs cut mouth and how to try to fix this sudden fighting issue.

bpatters
08-20-15, 12:39 pm
How large is your cage?

How did you go about introducing them?

What is your cage furniture like? How many hideys and how many doors on each?

A new pig, or even illness in an old pig, can upset the apple cart of pig relationships.

Cavies4EverEver
08-20-15, 12:40 pm
How big is the cage that you keep them in? Can you send a photo? Boars need a lot of space and often you should keep boars in 2s not in 3s, however if there is a lot of space, it may work.

lokigirl
08-20-15, 12:42 pm
I have a Jumbo C and C cage with a loft. I have about 5-6 hideys. The new pig has been separated from the group for a good five days now and the two old pigs have lived together for almost a year. I introduced the new pig on a bathroom floor with supervision, hideys, and food. before they were introduced I let a cloth with the scent of the new pig sit in the old pigs cage for a day and vice versa so that they could get used to each others scents.

Cavies4EverEver
08-20-15, 12:49 pm
I have a Jumbo C and C cage with a loft. I have about 5-6 hideys. The new pig has been separated from the group for a good five days now and the two old pigs have lived together for almost a year. I introduced the new pig on a bathroom floor with supervision, hideys, and food. before they were introduced I let a cloth with the scent of the new pig sit in the old pigs cage for a day and vice versa so that they could get used to each others scents.

How many grids is your c&C cage.

When bonding them, you shouldn't have anything in the room so that they cant run away or hid behind anything. They have to be responsible for establishing their dominance. Did you do all three pigs at the same time or just 2 of them? How long were they in the bathroom for?

lokigirl
08-20-15, 01:24 pm
How many grids is your c&C cage.

When bonding them, you shouldn't have anything in the room so that they cant run away or hid behind anything. They have to be responsible for establishing their dominance. Did you do all three pigs at the same time or just 2 of them? How long were they in the bathroom for?
They have 2x6 bottom and 2x2 loft. I added the hides after dominance was established and they were all getting along. I kept them in the bathroom together for about 2 hours with supervision. I did 2 at a time and then did all three and it worked pretty well once dominance was established.

Cavies4EverEver
08-20-15, 02:27 pm
They have 2x6 bottom and 2x2 loft. I added the hides after dominance was established and they were all getting along. I kept them in the bathroom together for about 2 hours with supervision. I did 2 at a time and then did all three and it worked pretty well once dominance was established.

I would use the loft area to expand the cage more and the reason is becuase they really need more floor space. Boars are very territorial, and a lot of the time you cant kep them in more than pairs.

If the dominance has changed as well that could knock things out of wack!

lokigirl
08-20-15, 05:11 pm
I would use the loft area to expand the cage more and the reason is becuase they really need more floor space. Boars are very territorial, and a lot of the time you cant kep them in more than pairs.

If the dominance has changed as well that could knock things out of wack!

I will try expanding the loft space. As of right now I may find a loving owner for this baby I got. I was someone's last option and I couldn't let him be possibly harmed. I may also find him a pair and keep the four separated in pairs. Do you think that they can also be territorial over the food bowl? That is when the major fight happened and is normally the only time they fight. I really just want to provide a happy and healthy home for these sweet boys!

wombats
08-20-15, 05:20 pm
That might be a reason actually...is there only one food bowl? If so, it would definitely help to get two or even three, and just as many water bottles. Put them at different ends of the cage so one can't corner the other from food. It could have been that they fought over the food in that case, but honestly I wouldn't know.

lokigirl
08-20-15, 06:15 pm
That might be a reason actually...is there only one food bowl? If so, it would definitely help to get two or even three, and just as many water bottles. Put them at different ends of the cage so one can't corner the other from food. It could have been that they fought over the food in that case, but honestly I wouldn't know.
I actually just realized that when they do have dominance fights it is ALWAYS in the area of their food. I will certainly invest in a new food bowl and try your idea of putting them in different places!

lokigirl
08-26-15, 06:49 pm
I have three guinea pigs, all males. I know boars can be extremely hard to bond and pair. My third pig broke up the original two pigs and now I have one pig all alone. He has bites all over him that I recently viewed him receiving from his old bonded friend. I have done a lot of research and know that there is no general consensus on the proper amount of pigs, but I have read a lot saying that 2 or 4 works better than 3. Now, I obviously don't want to get rid of one of my babies. If I were to get a fourth could I attempt to bond him with my ostracized male and then see if they could all coexist together? I know that it may not work, it always depends on the pigs and their personality. I was hoping that maybe four pigs would help even it out and prevent my one pig from always being attacked by the other when he tries to be with them.