Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello, I'm new.

Tobias2189

Cavy Slave
Hello, I'm new here. I've been reading the forums on this site for a few days now and I just signed up. A few days ago I got two guinea pigs and this site is helping me learn a lot. I had several guinea pigs growing up but I had no idea how bad I was doing until I read this site.

Growing up I never had a computer or internet so I did not have access to proper information. I was about 5 when I got my first guinea pig. Her name was Red Eyes and she was the best friend I had. She was a sassy little piggy and once smacked my mom's cat on the nose to tell him to back off. :D

I later got another guinea named Black Eyes. :) He was a great piggy who just loved life and he was a great pal.

Both guinea pigs lived in 20 gallon fish tanks and never had any place to hide. They got to eat grass, baby carrots and hay once every morning. Using this site has shown me how bad of a life they had. I wish I had known, I would have done almost anything to give them the best life I could have. Despite how bad there living conditions were, they both lived happy lives. They adored me and I adored them. Neither of them had a cage mate, (thank god) they were gotten in different times of my life and never met each other.

I feel like this is my confession, I've found out that my mother knew all of the proper ways to take care of these animals and did nothing. I'm hurt and angry for my little babies and knowing I could not have changed anything does not change this. This is my promise to my new piggies I'll do anything for you, care for you and love you. I'll give you the best life I can. You might not always have the best of things but I'll always work to better your lives for as long as I'm your care giver.

I don't currently have pictures of my first guinea pigs but here are my two new guineas:

Nibbles.pngUnnamed.png
^Nibbles ---------------------This won't let me put spaces here.--------------------------------------^Does not have a name yet. :(

I'm not sure of their sex and I'm a little worried. I'm going to try to get some pictures of there "areas" and post them to see if anyone here can help me figure it out. I'm fairly sure they're both female but I can't be 100%.

They've both been living in a tote storage container. I thought it was so big and I spent a day turning it into a cage for them. After getting them and putting everything in they barely have enough room to get out of there hidy. They've been having difficulties. The little black one steals food from the bigger white and brown one. I'm not sure what is happening when I'm not around but I hear loud squeals and I've been watching them. But neither will do anything in front of me, like they're trying to hide it.

I've ordered: (broken link removed). I'll expand the cage in time but I can't afford anything bigger at the moment. They've cost me nearly 200 in less than a week and I'm a little short on cash now, lol. Earlier today they started talking around me, it made me feel great. I'm not sure they'll ever stop running from me like I'm an axe murderer when I try to get them out of there cage but it's okay. They seem to have calmed down a little after I rearranged their cage. I took the white one out for a few hours today and fell asleep. I panicked a little when I woke up, I was afraid I crushed her in my sleep. I checked their cage first thing to see if maybe I had put her back and forgot. I did not. D: I found her a couple minutes later on the floor sleeping in the blanket that she had been sitting on while we were on the couch. It must have fallen off with her and she decided it was as good a place as any to sleep.

I'll probably add more to this or edit some things out. I probably add pictures of my first two guineas when I can find them. Sorry about the book I've apparently started writing, lol. Also sorry about the pictures I do have. I have the worst camera in the world. This camera is not worth 10 let alone the 90 I paid. :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

You do need to figure out whether they're the same sex or not, and separate them if they're not. See www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm and https://www.guinealynx.info/abscess.html for information on how to tell.

If the cage is crowded, take some of the stuff out of it. Crowding is one of the main causes of aggression in guinea pigs, and you may wind up with chewed ears or worse if they don't have enough room. Your link doesn't work, so I can't see what kind of cage you've ordered. But see the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes, and remember that bigger is always better.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The link takes me to (broken link removed)
Looking at the link I figured the page you were trying to link to was www.guineapigcagesstore.com/candc-cage-small#.VdKVcCZVii8

A 2x3 c&c will do temporarily while they are still young (assuming they are in fact both females) but it would be ideal to upgrade to a 2x4 c&c later. For now consider removing any hideys and replacing them with fleece forests, as the fleece forest will act as a hidey but it doesn't obstruct any floor space as they can run through it.

Tobias2189

Cavy Slave
I've removed the hidy box I had for them and rather put a sheet over the cage to make them feel safer. I'm also removing the vegi bowl for now. I'm going to take them both out in the mornings and feed them a carrot by hand. They won't be able to steal, have extra time away from each other and bonding time with me.

Is there no way to edit a post after publishing it? I had the option at first but now it's gone or I'm just blind. =\

Soecara

Cavy Slave
You can only edit a post for the first 10 minutes after it is made.

Tobias2189

Cavy Slave
The link takes me to (broken link removed)
Looking at the link I figured the page you were trying to link to was www.guineapigcagesstore.com/candc-cage-small#.VdKVcCZVii8

A 2x3 c&c will do temporarily while they are still young (assuming they are in fact both females) but it would be ideal to upgrade to a 2x4 c&c later. For now consider removing any hideys and replacing them with fleece forests, as the fleece forest will act as a hidey but it doesn't obstruct any floor space as they can run through it.

Yeah I'm not sure how the link got messed up. It was copied normal and still works when I paste&go. Something got added somehow. =\

Tobias2189

Cavy Slave
Thank you. After checking that out I went back and checked them. I feel like I molested the poor creatures but I'm 100% sure they're both female now. I don't have to be afraid any more. :'D

urofan

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the guinea pig cages forum.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.