PDA

View Full Version : Heart Issues Hooting sound?

barbaramudge
08-15-15, 11:10 am
Sweet Rhina started making this noise about an hour ago. No other symptoms of any kind. Other than this sound she seems perfectly normal. Heart do ya think? And if so, I hate to sound awful, is this something I can wait till Monday for? https://vimeo.com/136388636

You have to watch the video till she turns around. I don't know how to edit it. Sorry.

bpatters
08-15-15, 11:40 am
Maybe. And yes, it can wait until Monday.

Is she pregnant?

barbaramudge
08-15-15, 11:43 am
Lol...nope. Permanently pear shaped. I honestly don't know why she's so big but she's about 1300g, almost 200g more than the rest of them. She's bigger than both my boys.

barbaramudge
08-15-15, 11:45 am
I should take her in on Monday though right? Even if all else seems normal?

bpatters
08-15-15, 11:57 am
I'd get her checked sometime soon.

I've got one that's hooting a little occasionally, but I can't figure out which one it is. My budget won't stand two x-rays at the moment, so I'm hoping I can catch one of them in the act so I'll know which one to take in.

barbaramudge
08-15-15, 12:03 pm
Well I wanted to wait till Monday to save money because I figure I'm going to need a decent amount if this is a heart thing. Are X-rays what I can expect at my visit? I'm assuming that would show fluid or something with the heart. Are there specific things I should watch for till then to indicate an emergency situation? Other than the standard, breathing, eating , pooping, active? Or anything I should be doing to help her or to provide as much info as possible for the vet?

bpatters
08-15-15, 12:19 pm
No, there's nothing to do. And there's no emergency unless she has difficulty breathing or becomes very lethargic. Then, you get to her to a vet ASAP.

There's not much they can do to diagnose heart problems in pigs. An enlarged heart should show on x-ray. Fluid in the lungs could indicate a failing heart. But usually what they do is just try different heart meds until you find something that makes the symptoms go away.

barbaramudge
08-15-15, 12:42 pm
Okie dokie. Thank you bpatters!