Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Baby Pig

JellyBelly33

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! So I decided earlier this month that I would add to my herd of two sows. Ill just start off by saying my two sows are not friends they merely tolerate each others existence, which is fine but one of my pigs used to love to cuddle with her former cage mate so I thought why not another pig. It started with craigslist, their was a women with an accidental pregnancy and the litter needed to go. I picked a baby female (about 1 month old) I picked her up at a neutral location about 30 min away. Well, I took her to the vet a couple days later for a wellness exam and it turns out she is a he. I told the vet I was planning on introducing her to my female pigs, and she was kind enough to give me an estimate on when to come back and the price of the neuter. Anyyways, this is Fig he is a white Abby with a black mask and he is one of the most outgoing pigs I've ever had! At the moment he won't eat any veggies but he devours hay and pellets, especially since I got bluegrass hay from KMS that I mix with his Alfalfa. He is currently in a quarantine cage but I'm going to make a C and C cage out of extra grids, since he will be housed away from the girls until he is neutered and healed from the surgery in 3 months. Meanwhile I've been handling him everyday so he gets used to human touch, since he's a baby pig he is squirmy. This is my baby boy..
fig.jpg
Questions:
When should I be worried about him not consuming vegetables?
What can I do to keep him happy without piggy friends for a few months?
What would be a good C and C cage size for a baby pig (I have room for a 2x4)?

Last edited:

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
I would say don't worry about him not eating veggies. My girls didn't eat veggies until a week of so after I brought them home.

Make the cage as big as big as it can possibly get, and give him toys to play with. That should keep him happy without a pig friend. Tip: most pigs like fleece forests!

Just a a quick question: will he be housed in the same room as the girls before neutering?

Also, just a quick tip: I don't know if you knew this or not but after neutering you have to wait 2-3 weeks before placing him in with the girls so all the sperm can die out.

Chenko

Cavy Slave
My sister's Himalayan guinea pig had a second litter and one of them kept eating her mom's hair. She would rip the hair out with her teeth while her siblings ate pellets it was funny.

Guinea pigs are develop faster than the average animal so I wouldn't worry too much.

JellyBelly33

Cavy Slave
I would say don't worry about him not eating veggies. My girls didn't eat veggies until a week of so after I brought them home.

Make the cage as big as big as it can possibly get, and give him toys to play with. That should keep him happy without a pig friend. Tip: most pigs like fleece forests!

Just a a quick question: will he be housed in the same room as the girls before neutering?

Also, just a quick tip: I don't know if you knew this or not but after neutering you have to wait 2-3 weeks before placing him in with the girls so all the sperm can die out.

He will be housed in the same room after quarantine, as of now he is in a different room. Oh and thanks for the tip I have heard this before and will wait 3 weeks after neutering him to introduce them.

Spritzysmomma

Cavy Gazer
[h=2][/h]
I would really like to rescue guinea pigs. I cleaned out my giant closet to make room for a 2x4 c&c three level cage. The last level will be 2x1. The two boys will be on the first level, and the three girls will be on the first and second level. I plan on using fleece bedding, high quality horse hay, Oxbow alfalfa pellets for the young piggies, KMS pellets for the adults. Please recommend websites, food, toys, ect.​

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.